Part 7

Chapter 2

On a sunny morning, the troublesome boys are on the beach, helping bring in the fish haul.

It's been just a few days since they returned from the Three Brothers rocks, and in their parents' eyes, they seem to be getting along better. Though they don't recommend getting into trouble as a bonding activity.

Aonung grabs one end of the net while Lo'ak grabs the other. They pull, and Aonung's side comes further in. Neteyam walks over to the other side and pulls with Lo'ak the second time.

This time the net is pulled further in on both sides, and other Na'vi begin to sort through the catch.

Aonung and the others join them in sorting the different types into baskets. All the while Aonung can't help but glance at Neteyam, who is entirely focused on his work.

Ever since what happened between them in the cave, Aonung hasn't been sure how to act around him.

Neteyam seems the same as usual with everyone, including him. But even though he was left confused, he finds himself more drawn to the forest boy.

He's been wondering what the reason was behind the kiss, but hasn't gotten the chance to ask.

After sorting all the food, the others begin carrying the baskets off, while Aonung is left to collect the nets with Neteyam.

Neteyam grabs one end while Aonung grabs the other and they bring them together, folding the net. Their hands graze each other briefly when Aonung takes the entire net, causing them to lock eyes, but the boy just looks away.

Aonung hangs the net over a hook then turns back to Neteyam who's already grabbing the next one. He walks over to it and plants his foot on the net, making Neteyam look up at him in confusion.

Neteyam- What are you doing?

Aonung- Why did you do it?

Neteyam- Do what?

Aonung- In the cave. Why did you do that?

Neteyam looks down at the net, tugging on it.

Neteyam- Lift your foot.

Aonung steps off the net and grabs his end, lifting it and bringing it towards the other end. When Neteyam hands it to him, he drops the net altogether and grabs Neteyam's hands before he can walk away.

He tries to yank his hands away but Aonung's grip on them is tight.

Neteyam- Let go.

Aonung- First tell me why you did it.

Neteyam- Let go of me.

Aonung reluctantly releases him, and he begins to walk off.

Aonung- Neteyam!

Neteyam- Don't worry about it, I won't do it again.

Aonung- I'm not mad.

Aonung's words cause him to halt, and he slowly turns around, and walks back towards Aonung.

Neteyam- Why?

Aonung- I can't really blame you for what you do when you're feeling pressured.

Neteyam- Who said I was feeling that way?

Aonung- Look, I know you're tough. You're a leader to them.

Neteyam crosses his arms and hums in agreement.

Aonung- But you don't have to handle everything by yourself.

Neteyam- Yes I do.

Aonung- I get it. You don't want anyone to see your weaknesses, but that doesn't make them disappear.

Neteyam throws his arms down with a hiss, his tail flicking around in irritation.

Neteyam- I have grown up helping my father fight a war. All you have done is hunt fish. Do not act like you understand me.

Aonung is taken aback by the way Neteyam suddenly started to speak like his mother.

Neteyam- We are both sons of chiefs, but that does not make us alike.

Aonung- We're more alike than you think.

Neteyam- That's rich, coming from someone who hates us for being different.

Aonung- That's not why.

Neteyam- I don't care.

Neteyam begins to back away, pointing a finger at Aonung.

Neteyam- Just stay your pampered ass away from me.

As he turns his back and walks off, Aonung comes out with a late response.

Aonung- I should be telling you that.

Neteyam is too far away to hear him, but he knows that.