Part 95

Neteyam nods in response, and they find an empty spot along the paths to sit with their legs hanging into the water.

Lo'ak- So what is it? What's eating you up the most?

Neteyam- Mo'dan.

Lo'ak- I meant to ask what happened.

Rotxo- Why would Mo do something like that?

Neteyam- Because he wasn't who I thought he was. I misjudged him, but I didn't even get a chance to apologize for that.

Lo'ak wraps a comforting arm around him.

Lo'ak- Don't feel guilty, it wasn't your fault.

Neteyam- That isn't why I feel this way.

He looks down at his legs dangling in the water, lightly swinging back and forth.

Neteyam- Aonung seems so bothered. I mean, of course he is, that was his mate, but . . .

Tsireya rubs his back, encouraging him to continue.

Neteyam- That healer boy was right about me. Even knowing now that he didn't deserve death, I still have such a pleasant feeling knowing he's not in the way anymore. I was beginning to realize I really didn't have a chance at a future with Aonung, and it hurt. But now that isn't the case. . . And it gives me much joy.

His head lowers as the others exchange pitiful looks.

Neteyam- I know it's wrong . . . Honestly, if it weren't for me, that never would've happened to him.

Lo'ak- Hey, what did I say about blaming yourself?

Neteyam- It's hard not to, when so many of the decisions I make have such an impact. Like, if I was there with you when Aonung found out about you and Rotxo, things could've turned out differently.

He thinks of the hidden kiss shared only because things went the way they did, and wishes it never would have happened.

Lo'ak- One thing to know about the past, bro. No matter how near it is, you can't change it.

He lifts his head to look at his brother's reassuring face.

Tsireya- And accepting that what's done is done will help you move on.

Lo'ak- Which is something he's usually good at.

Neteyam smiles lightly and rolls his eyes at Lo'ak's teasing.

Rotxo- And above all . . .

He looks to Rotxo, who's on the other side of Lo'ak.

Rotxo- I know Aonung doesn't blame you for a single thing. And if there's anyone who won't have a problem with the way you feel, it's him.

The very true fact brings him a pleasant feeling.

Sudden deaths are called so because no one ever sees them coming, and it gives no time to prepare, all one can do is deal with it once it happens. He can't help the small bit of guilt he feels for not being as affected by this as Aonung, but he'll try not to dwell on it anymore. Too distracted by things he dealt with personally, he did let his brother go astray a bit, but he won't dwell on that either. All that he can do is help him deal with what's already been done, and hope he's wiser moving forward.

He begins to smile softly, glad to have persistent friends that gave him the help he was rejecting.

Neteyam- Thanks, guys. Sorry for being difficult, by the way.

Lo'ak- It's okay, we know you prefer to handle things on your own.

Tsireya- Remember there's no shame in asking for help.

Neteyam- I once used a line like that on Aonung, but look at me.

They share a short laugh, then he remembers what he was doing.

Neteyam- I should go find him.

He pulls his legs up out of the water and stands.

Rotxo- Good luck.