Part 117

The adults follow the excited kids from the woven paths to the sandy beach, seeing the Tsahík of Paltu with their previously absent teens, along with three of her own.

The parents were expecting their children to show some excitement being back home after their trip, but instead they radiate a mixed atmosphere.

Ronal immediately goes up to Aonung, observing his bandaged torso. Tsireya, who was the first to greet him, stands off to the side next to Rotxo.

Ronal- Aonung, what happened to you?

Na'haji- He was bitten by a vanisher on our hunt. It was my fault, I apologize.

The boy quickly kneels before Awa'atlu's Tsahík in apology.

Ronal- A vanisher?!

Aonung- Be calm, mother, I'm fine.

Ronal- But-

Cin'lan- Do not worry, his memory is intact.

Rotxo- Not all of it.

Ronal- What is missing?

Yune- Nothing he cannot do without.

Rotxo snarls lightly at Yune's comment, and Tsireya places a hand on his shoulder to ease his rising anger. Cin'lan gives Ronal an apologetic look, and one to Neytiri as well when she checks Neteyam. But Neytiri is less worried about his minor injuries and more focused on his behavior. His lifeless tail, and drooping ears, but on top of that, his overall dead expression.

Neytiri holds his face up to meet his eyes, but he pulls away from her, holding his head low. Taken aback, she looks to Jake, who is also concerned by the behavior. Tuktirey hugs Kiri tightly, but her and Lo'ak are focused on the look their father is giving them.

They'll definitely have to explain things later.

Neytiri- Neteyam, what is wrong? Does your wound hurt?

Neteyam- No. It's nothing, mother.

Lo'ak- Don't say that-

Kiri grabs Lo'ak's arm to gain his attention, and shakes her head at him. They've already had an argument about Neteyam thinking everything that happened no longer matters. While he is certain there's nothing he can do about it, Lo'ak and the others feel differently.

For sure Aonung's memories are lost, but that doesn't mean new ones aren't possible. Lo'ak, despite feeling for his brother's pain, is also glad for the potential chance at a better relationship with him, only now he hopes Aonung will even give it.

Ronal turns to Cin'lan with disappointment, then allows Na'haji to rise from his lingering apologetic gesture.

Cin'lan- I am sorry, my friend, and so is my son. I was confident he would be in good hands.

Ronal- I will put this behind me, because I know you well.

Cin'lan- Thank you.

Ronal- Now, is there a reason all three of your boys have come back with you?

Cin'lan- They were hoping to spend some time here. I think they have become attached to your boys and the children of Toruk.

Ronal- I see.

Ronal looks over the boys, debating whether or not they deserve to stay. Seeing the youngest one not paying attention to her, but innocently observing Kiri, makes her mind up.

Ronal- They may stay for just a few days. You should stay with them, we can spend some quality time together, old friend.

Cin'lan- I would love that.

She glances at the Sully family walking off, then follows Ronal as she leads her and her sons to their temporary home.