Part 153

Chapter 9

Neteyam wakes within the cave, feeling much warmer. The fire has gone out, but the leaf curtain is keeping the heat in. He looks to his left and sees Aonung still resting next to him. Most of the others are still in there as well, but a few are missing. He doesn't worry, though, because he hears the sound of a few voices outside.

Just as he stands and adjusts his cloak and hood to go out, Na'haji runs in looking panicked.

Neteyam- Na'h-

Na'haji- We are trapped.

Neteyam glances at the few others leaning up to pay attention, then quickly pulls Na'haji back out of the cave to not cause any panic. The storm is over, and the island forest is covered in a coat of white snow and ice. The sun is shining brightly as a source of warmth in the cold air.

With a firm hand on his shoulder, he looks up into the Paltu boy's pained eyes.

Neteyam- What do you mean we're trapped?

Na'haji- We cannot leave the island.

Neteyam- Why?

Na'haji- The Ilu will not let us. We have tried many times, but they will not go further than the shallows.

Neteyam glances at the others behind Na'haji. Coona, Talon, and Shore all nod in agreement, but there are still two other people he didn't see inside the cave. The question in his head becomes spoken before he thinks twice.

Neteyam- Where are Sorfé and Somtra?

Na'haji- Somtra went further up the beach.

Neteyam- And Sorfé?

He watches Na'haji's face fall before taking a breath and clearing his throat to try to keep his composure.

Na'haji- He didn't return, but he made sure your sister was safe.

Neteyam pats his shoulder comfortingly as he processes the information.

Neteyam- Does Yune know?

Na'haji- Not yet, but once he wakes, he will surely figure it out before I can even say anything to him.

Somtra- You need to see this.

Once again, though the boy is soft spoken, his sudden appearance right next to them makes Neteyam and Na'haji jump slightly.

Neteyam- See wha-

Aonung- Neteyam!

He turns and is immediately engulfed by Aonung's strong arms. The boy was worried when he woke up without him there. After being released from the tight embrace, Neteyam turns back to Somtra, while Aonung notices a glare coming from an old familiar face again.

Shore's glare lingers, until he decides to walk off, heading back into the cave because there's nowhere else better for him to go.

Neteyam- Uh, Somtra. You were saying?

Somtra- You three, follow me.

Na'haji, Aonung, and Neteyam follow the boy to the cold sand of the shore so they won't have to trek through snow. He leads them much further down the beach, out of sight from the others as they head around the island, but not yet reaching the other side.