Part 159

A few weeks. Just a few weeks go by and all of a sudden Lo'ak's entire life revolves around Fayne, as if Rotxo isn't there.

The small marine boy sits on one of the woven paths with his feet dipped in the water as he watches the younger Sully boy from a distance.

Lo'ak and Fayne seem to be in their own little world, living some sort of dream. Meanwhile, Rotxo has been sticking close to the eldest Sully boy, but not because he's foolishly looking for love elsewhere.

As he watches the blue boy intently, Neteyam suddenly shows up next to him, and sits down. Without facing him or greeting him as acknowledgment, Rotxo simply starts by voicing his thoughts.

Rotxo- I don't understand her. She knows Lo'ak is already mated, yet she still tries so hard.

Neteyam- And Lo'ak, he should know better.

Rotxo- It's hard to believe he'd let himself fall for someone else knowing they can never be together.

Neteyam- He isn't-

Rotxo- Don't spout lies to me, I know what I'm seeing.

Neteyam watches his brother in disappointment, then turns away with a sigh.

Neteyam- You shouldn't be watching this. You don't deserve it.

Rotxo- Maybe.

Neteyam- . . . I haven't bothered to ask why you've been, well, the way you've been, with Lo'ak, and everyone else, but I think it's time I did.

Rotxo remains silent, looking off to the side as he thinks over what's being said to him.

Neteyam- They hate that you won't talk to them, especially since they know you'll only speak to me. Which is also confusing.

Rotxo- So Lo'ak knows?

Neteyam- I haven't told him, but anyone can see, when you're around, that you only talk to me. Why won't you speak to them?

Rotxo- I . . . I can't reach them.

Neteyam- What?

Rotxo- When they're in front of me I just . . . I can't speak.

Rotxo turns his gaze to him.

Rotxo- They were there, in that place. That awful place.

Neteyam- So was I.

Rotxo- But you were also here. You're here with me right now, and you were before I even started talking to you. You're a part of Awa'atlu, not that empty shell of a village.

Neteyam- Rotxo, the others are all here too.

Rotxo- . . . That's not where my mind sees them.

The smaller boy stands from his spot, and Neteyam does the same.

Rotxo- You have things to do, don't you?

Neteyam- Well-

Rotxo- Don't let me keep you from them, I'll be in my den.

As Rotxo walks off, Neteyam sighs in a bit of frustration. He does have things to do, Aonung's training being one of them, but instead of heading straight to that, he stopped to check on Rotxo.

The boy wasn't at home so he spent not too long searching for him, but he has kept his student waiting for longer than he should have.