Part 11

Aonung's eyes widen, filled entirely with shock at his mothers words.

Lo'ak- That's too bad, Aonung doesn't approve of us. But if that's the offer I might just agree with him.

Jake- Watch your mouth, boy.

Lo'ak steps back, cautious of his father's threatening tone. Tonowari walks up to his son and his mate takes a step back. He looks down at Aonung, and the boy tenses up a bit.

Tonowari- Is this true? Do you still despise them, even after what I've told you?

Aonung glances around, afraid to even try to give his explanation. Tonowari grabs his son's bond with a firm grip, showing his impatience, and the boy winces but holds himself tall and strong.

Ronal frowns in disapproval. She isn't very fond of her mate's actions, but won't dare speak against him in public.

Aonung- No, sir. I don't.

His father still holds on, not fully convinced.

Aonung- I followed your words. It's behind me.

Tonowari releases the boy, and steps aside with a slight nod. Aonung glances at the other teens, but is still standing strong and ignoring the uncomfortable feeling lingering in his bond.

Ronal- Before you decide how you feel, give Kiri a chance.

He nods, and Neytiri and Ronal are both visibly happy.

Ronal- Why don't you and Kiri go for a stroll together?

The boy nods once again and holds his arm out for Kiri to hold onto. She glances at her mother, who motions for her to go ahead. She holds onto his arm and the two begin to walk off along the beach.

Ronal, Neytiri, and Tonowari leave in the other direction with Tuktirey in tow, and Tsireya following behind, asking questions. Jake stays behind and looks at his sons. He can tell neither of them like what's happening. Especially Neteyam, who looks far more enraged than he would normally let on.

The older boy storms up to his father, and shocks both him and Lo'ak.

Neteyam- Why would you let them set Kiri up with him?

Lo'ak- That bitch doesn't even like us.

Jake would normally scold them for speaking to him this way, but he understands their concern and lets their behavior slide. He holds a hand up for them to hold their tongue.

Jake- Ronal came to us with this proposal. It's of the highest honor to have them request our daughter to be the next Tsahìk.

Lo'ak- But Aonung is a jerk.

Jake- Aonung is the next chief, you need to learn to respect him.

Lo'ak- He doesn't respect us. That's why he used to pick on Kiri.

Neteyam- I can't believe Kiri even went along with this.

Jake- Kiri understands responsibility and respect. She's mature, you could learn a thing or two from her.

Neteyam shakes head with a short hiss, then turns and walks off. Jake looks down at Lo'ak, who is also a bit taken aback by the usually calm boy being so quick tempered.

Jake- Did something happen to him today?

Lo'ak- Not that I know of.

Jake looks off in the direction Neteyam went, feeling a bit worried for his oldest son.

Jake- Keep an eye on him.

Lo'ak- I'm sure it's nothing he can't handle.

Jake looks back at his younger son and repeats himself sternly.

Jake- Keep an eye on him. Understand?

Lo'ak nods his head and Jake leaves to rejoin Neytiri and the others.