134.

✧A CRUEL SOLUTION✧

◊━━━━━✥━━━━━◊

***

"I don't mean to be a burden."

"Love—You're not a burden."
"Then tell me, I'm the reason you're not even considering this promotion. You're exhausting yourself because of me. I believe that is the definition of a burden." Abandoning her position at the table, she had come to push herself closer to Alfie, taking hold of his hand—One that was not at all glove or protected from her physical touch—and started to caress him.

"You are not a burden. You're my husband. Don't you recall 'in sickness and in health?' You are ill, simple as that. I am not disgusted by you or looking down upon the situation. This is just something we have to get through. Together." He closed his eyes, feeling the heat that his tears were creating, but Rhea did not want his disconnection and instead had come to stand before him. Brushing aside his tears with the pads of her thumbs, offering a soft and warm smile.

No, this was not the first time they stood at odds, and it wouldn't be the last. But their love was eternal, it would shine brighter than anything. And Rhea truly believed in it. So she tilted his head further and placed an adoring kiss on his lips.

One that Alphard was eager to return, though she ended it much too quickly for his tastes. But the grace of her laughter was enough to gain another peck, though this time he opened his eyes.

"Have you taken your salt bath?" He had, but something deep in his chest had sparked—The feeling of being taken care of. Their relationship had started out with her reminding him to take a break from his work to join her for meals.

Here, however, it felt the same.
He couldn't feel his regular annoyance.

"I have. Though I did miss you this afternoon."
"Well, I had a feeling that you needed to have time by yourself after what we heard. I'm sure Healer Brown will have an update for when the surgery could be scheduled—Once we have a date, I'll owl for another tonic treatment." He nodded, feeling relieved that she would handle that sort of paperwork.

"Joanna will be coming sometime tomorrow as well. Please keep an open mind to what we discuss, love. It's to benefit and protect you." The mere thought of thinking of living after Alphard passes left her mouth dry and caused her heart to skip a beat.

"I promise to keep an open mind..." She breathed, taking the moment to move a few annoying locks of his hair. It was a side effect of the treatment, where his hair would start to thin, and here was the proof.

"How about I give you a spa day?" He frowned, not understanding what it is she was getting after. Wasn't she raving about heading to bed just a few minutes ago?

"I would enjoy a spa day, but tomorrow when you're rested—"
"I have to oil my hair, we can do it together. Come on...Becker, can you wrap that for later?" There was too much going on at the movement that Alphard could not handle, but all he could understand was that he was being 'dragged' up to their shared room and headed directly into the bathroom.

"Hm, I should probably rinse off from work first."
"Don't mind me." He cheekily replied, and she had all but rolled her eyes as she began letting the underlayers of her Healer robes drop to the floor.

Oh, what a blessing it was to know that the elves would have it gone and ready by the time she needed to clock into work next. However, what she couldn't ignore was the heated gaze her husband was giving her as he leaned against the sink.