-Chapter♛♚OneHundredTwentySix-

✧THE PAIN OF KNOWING✧

◊━━━━━✥━━━━━◊

***

"More testing? What couldn't they find in the standard testing that would result in this?" She asked, taking hold of the clipboard, though the Healer hadn't truly offered it to be taken and read through.

"Oh...A-alright...Can this be expedited at all? I swear to you, my husband was in good health all through our Holiday. Sure he drinks his fire whiskey and smokes, but if it were any of those two problems it would have shown here."

"I apologize, Mrs.Black, but unless I have authorization from the Head Healer then I cannot put in the order."

"I understand, I get that plenty." Now that had caused the wizard to frown in confusion, and she shrugged her shoulders. "I work on eight tower."

"Y-you work with—Oh Merlin, why didn't you say so before! I'll have it rushed, no worries...Besides, Maverick owes me a favor." Now that had caused her to snort as she found the humor in it all.

Of course, of course, Maverick would come to the rescue when he wasn't even present.

Granted, it still strained her with worry that Alphard's chart looked normal at a glance. This was a good start, given that he was in healthy condition. Perhaps this was the small fright he needed in order to stop his smoking habits?

Whatever it was, it was starting to make Rhea grown anxious. Already she had to ask, twice, about the status of the blood results—And even then it was loaded with excuses.

Forget about the saying a Healer makes a terrible patient, a Healer makes a terrible patient's guardian!

There were ways to bend the rules, and Maverick had done his job in testing the limits. But clearly, there were certain areas where that would.

Having been stationed on the children's ward showcased that, given that no one in this entire build would tell another no when it involved an ill or hurt child.

Rhea had already called for Maverick, but it seemed he was floating about and unable to be reached. She just hoped that he wouldn't stumble in here without any warning on his part.

It was close to ten when Alphard had shown signs of movements, but Rhea didn't believe they were anything more than small twitches until a low groan had settled into the room.

Jumping into gear, Rhea squeezed his hand in her grasp tighter and prepared a smile to her waking husband. But he hadn't budged, though she was hopeful that he was at peace and getting some proper rest.

The previous Healer was right, she couldn't imagine the type of pressure he was getting at all sides. Not only was his wife hurt, the company was getting prepared for the most stressful time of the year.

"Knock, knock...Sorry I'm late, came as soon as I could." Rhea turned to greet the voice over her shoulder, but she couldn't manage much more than that.

Truly, she was out of sorts by all of this. Yet the comforting hold of Maverick's touch brought her back for a moment. "What happened, Rhee?"

"We just came back from our Holiday...He went to his study and when I went to go and call him for dinner—Alfie didn't even make it to his chair, he collapsed." She had repeated it numerous times in the last few hours, but now she couldn't manage to get through it without choking up.

"I don't know how long he was there...I didn't think to—" Maverick hadn't said a word and simply opened his arm to offer a bit of comfort, and she instantly went forth to claim it.