Chapter 24

HAYLEY

Both Theo nor I don't say anything, we just walk.

"Mate is sad," says Raina in my head.

I can't answer her; I think my voice would give away to her how I truly feel.

"Hayley," Theo says as he looks down at me. "What happened?" he asks. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I look at him and see his pain running through his eyes and it is definitely written all over his face.

I stop walking and he stops with me. I notice a broken log that lays across the ground. I walk over to it and sit. Theo just stands and watches me.

"I told you how I saw you with Carly in the clearing, but what I never mentioned was later that night I went back to your room at the pack house to see you. I wanted to see you. Have you explained to me, I guess," I say, I know I have to tell him everything. "I heard moaning coming from your room, and I guessed you were with someone."

I look at him, but his face is confused. "You came back to my room that night. How long after I was hunting around for you most of the night? I left a really pissed-off Carly on her own in the forest while I went searching for you," he says.

"I think it was an hour or so after," I say and his face goes into a hard line. "I'm going to kill Summer," he says through gritted teeth. I look back at him with my eyebrows scrunched up. "Why would you..." but he stopped me. "Summer and Alpha Jacob found out they were mates. I was locked out of my room that night and slept in the games room but when I went back the next morning, my room stunk of sex."

I stare back in shock but after a few moments I can't help but giggle, but he looks at me. "You left because you thought I was having sex with someone, Hayley. You are the love of my life," he says and comes closer to me, and kneels down in front of me. "I was trying to find you all night."

He takes my hand in his and sits next to me.

"I decided to go with Harrison as he was going to college I thought it would be a nice break and it was. I planned to come back. I stayed there for three weeks as I needed to think and was trying to figure it out, but I also found out I was pregnant too," I said. I can feel him tense beside me, but he never lets go of my hand.

I look down at the floor even though I can feel his gaze on me. "I decided to come back after I got checked by a human doctor who told me the news. I went back home for a few days. I didn't even tell Harrison that I was coming back or my parents. I wanted to see you," I said and I took my hand away from his. "Theo, I caught you having sex when I came back. I know it was you as I heard your voice, but the worst thing was I saw Carly. She stared at me while you were..." I can't even finish the sentence.

"Hayley, I didn't..." he says, but I shake my head. "I need to tell you all this and it's not easy for me," I say and turn to face him. He opens but closes his mouth and nods.

"I decided right there and then to move, that I would bring up our baby on my own," I said, but his growl slipped through his mouth but I ignored him. "I moved to Florida and Harvey was there as he was doing his last final years in law. I told him I was pregnant, and I needed a fresh start, he never asked me who the father was but I think he guessed who it was," I said looking at him "He never told anyone not until Dad came to visit, I had my own place by then and lived not too far from Harvey. Dad was trying to convince me to move back, and I was going to, but a week before I was going to, Carly showed up at my door. She was angry with me. She told me that you were her mate," I said.

He shakes his head. "Carly was never my mate, I only smelt your scent but every time Jake had a glimpse of it we would be looking for you," he says and I give him a weak smile. "I know but I argued with her and led her out onto the landing to the building block. I lived near some stairs. Carly was getting angry with me and she pushed me, I tumbled all the way down to the bottom and landed in a heap on the floor," he takes my hand, and I close my eyes as tears start to come as this is the first ever that I have ever opened up to anyone about what happened. "Carly was laughing at the top of the stairs, telling me that I was pathetic and weak. She walked down and started to kick me in the stomach a few times but a neighbor heard the noise and came running out, she called the ambulance while Carly made her escape. I didn't know what happened after that," I say, sniffling. "But I woke up in the hospital with a doctor telling me that my baby needed to come out. I had to deliver our son. The hospital called my father, but he couldn't make it in time. But he sent Harvey to be there. He held my hand as I pushed our son into this world, but when he was born, he never cried."

Tears are now flowing down my face as I recall the moment the doctor told me that he was gone. "The doctor told me that he was gone due to the injuries that I sustained from my fall. I never told anyone about what happened, when my father came I made Harvey and him not tell a living soul, Harvey had to watch me cry myself to sleep and my heart broke into a million pieces," I said but I'm now completely crying, I couldn't keep on talking to him.

Theo pulls me into him and holds me. He doesn't say anything, but I can feel his silent tears fall onto my head as we both cry for our baby boy.