chapter 45

It's been two weeks since Derek's surgery. He's still in hospital. He's not taking it well, and I don't blame him. He's really sad that the surgery didn't work.

I walk into his hospital room. "Hi" I climb into bed with him. He doesn't say anything. I kiss his cheek.

"Derek" I look at him. "Baby, look at me" I put my hand on his jaw. "The doctor just left" he whispers. "Mhm?" I stroke his cheek with my thumb.

"He said I'll probably be walking in three months" he looks into my eyes. "What!?" I exclaim. He reaches down and pushes the blanket off of his legs. I look down.

"Watch" he says. I smile as I see her wearing the pink fluffy socks I bought him as a joke. My mouth falls wide open as he wiggles his toes. "Derek" I tear up immediately.

"I can feel my feet" he whispers. "Derek! Oh my god!" I shake him back and forth happily. He laughs, hugging me tight. I squeeze him.

"You're gonna walk baby, you're gonna- oh my god!" I put my hands on his cheeks. He smiles brightly, looking into my eyes.

He kisses me deeply. "I'm so happy for you" I hug him again. "I'm happy too" he says.

"Do it again" i giggle, looking down. He giggles too, like a little kid, as he wiggles his foot around. I smile, probably wider than I ever have before.

"We can have so much amazing, hot, sexy, hot sex!" He says excitedly. "Shh! Babe" I giggle. He smiles at me. "Come here" I grab him and kiss him. He puts his hands on my cheeks, kissing me back. 

"You promise we can have loads and loads and loads and loads-" he says. "I promise.. lots of sex, derek" I chuckle. He grins.

"And I saw this position online that I can put you in-" he grabs his phone. "We can talk about it later, baby.. let's just focus on you" I put his phone aside.

"You're gonna walk for the first time since you were like.. a toddler" I chuckle in disbelief. "I'm so happy" he cuddles into me. "Me too" I hug his neck.

6 weeks later:
"Swing your legs to this side of the bed" the doctor says. He does. He smiles at me from across the room. I grin.

"Meredith, you wanna come and help?" The doctor asks. I walk over. "You hold one of his arms, I've got the other" he says. I hold Derek's arm.

"Slowly" the doctor says. Derek very slowly stands up. Me and the doctor are holding most of his weight, but he's doing so well.

"Derek, you're so tall" I giggle, looking up at him. He's like a foot taller than me. He sits back down on the bed quickly, not being able to stand for any longer.

He frowns. "You did so good" I put my hand on his cheek and kiss his face softly a couple of times. "I wanna walk already" he rolls his eyes. "You'll get there eventually" the doctor says, helping him get into his wheelchair.

"Can I have sex yet?" He asks. He's been asking that at every appointment we go to. The doctor chuckles softly. "You know what? Yes you can" he says. "Really?" I smile. He nods. "Yes! Let's go mer" he grabs my hand.

"I have to go to school, derek" I giggle. "Skip it" he says as we leave the room. I smile, shaking my head.

"Do you not want to have sex?" He looks up at me, disappointed. "I definitely want to have sex with you, but I can't miss another day at school" I lean down, putting my hand on his cheek.

He sighs. "Der" I say. He looks at me again. "You stood up today" I say. He smiles. "I know" he grins. "I'm so proud of you" I say. "You are?" He asks. "Yes" I say. He kisses me softly.

"Come on, I'll take you home" I stand up straight. We go to my car and I help him in. I take him home and then go to school.