Chapter 9

The day following class, we opt to undertake Ilima's Trial at the Verdant Cavern, so we set off toward Route 2. Suddenly, Lillie inquires, "I read something in an old book once. It said that the island challenges were once a journey made to prove yourself and gain the strength to battle against the guardian deities of Alola. Like Tapu Koko... The people in Iki Town said that Tapu Koko loves Pokémon battles, didn't they?"

Nebby starts shaking in the bag again, and I remark, "I really hope the trial goes well for us." As we pass by, we spot an accident involving a Tauros carriage. We decide to inquire, and Officer Jenny informs us that Rattata and Raticate are causing chaos in the field by devouring everything. Their antics startle three Tauros pulling a load of timber, causing the timber to scatter.

"Are you students from the Pokémon School?" Officer Jenny queries us. "I'm Officer Jenny, here to assist. I'm a graduate of the Pokémon School as well."

"Really? That's impressive," I remark. Just then, Hala arrives and lends a hand with the scattered timber. Lillie says, "It's Kahuna Hala!"

After helping with the timber, Hala inquires, "I've heard from Ilima that you two are embarking on the Island Challenge?"

"Yeah, we're aiming to obtain a Z-Crystal," Lillie responds.

"If it's alright, I have a question for you. You're aware of the troubles caused by Rattata and Raticate on this island. If you were tasked with solving this problem, what would you do?" Hala asks.

"Let me guess, it can't involve battling, right?" I interject.

"Yes, precisely. Do you know why the Island Challenge began many years ago? It wasn't solely to strengthen trainers in battles, but to nurture young individuals to care for and protect the islands of Alola, along with the diverse people and Pokémon residing on them."

Lillie remarks, "I've noticed that Yungoos and Rattata don't seem to appear simultaneously on the routes. I wonder if there's a connection."

"So, are you proposing that we enlist the help of Yungoos and Gumshoos to address the issue?" Nate suggests.

"That's a perceptive and thoughtful idea. That's the response I was hoping for. The question I posed was a test to gauge whether you possess the qualities required for the trial," Hala explains.

"We get it," we both acknowledge, just as the Tauros reappear once more. Hala suggests, "Want to try giving him a little pat again? That's the only way he'll get used to you."

"Sure," Lillie responds, reaching out to touch its horn. Hala observes, "Maybe old Tauros here can feel your love for Pokémon. He sure seems happy to know you. And yet... It still seems to me like Tauros wants to stretch his legs on his own island challenge! Ha!"

In a sudden burst of energy, the Tauros dashes off, prompting Hala to exclaim, "What! You want to play tag, now? The Melemele kahuna never loses, friend!" With that, he swiftly races after the Tauros.

As we reach Route 2, the shaking grass conceals Pokémon, and we press on until we arrive at the Hau'oli Cemetery. Rosa comments, "So, this is where the graveyard in this region is located..."

Selene chimes in, "I believe this could be an ideal spot to capture some Ghost-type Pokémon."

Spotting a Zubat and a Gastly, Selene rushes to catch both of them and once she secures the Pokémon she desires, we decide to depart.

Continuing our journey, a Crabrawler herds us toward a motel, and the owner cheerfully greets us, "We're right by the sea! Welcome to my wonderful seaside motel! My Crabrawler has a knack for bringing in passersby so I can send them down by the bay. Though lately, he's been a bit too effective, and I'm all out of vacant rooms to offer you."