Chapter 12

We're currently en route to Iki Town, gearing up for the pivotal moment: our showdown with Kahuna Hala in the Grand Trial today. As we make our way there, Professor Kukui greets us eagerly. "I'm lookin' forward to seeing what moves you and your Pokémon will pour your soul into... now that you've gone and cleared your first trial, Ash, Lillie!"

"Thank you, Professor," we respond in unison.

"The Melemele kahuna is strong, cousin! He's a Trainer who can use Fighting-type Pokémon to the fullest, yeah. Might not be a bad idea to work on those Flying- or Psychic-type moves!" Professor Kukui says.

"We've had numerous battles against trainers with Fighting-type Pokémon, so we're well-prepared," I assure him.

Stepping aside, Professor Kukui reveals Hala, who awaits our arrival. Lillie nudges me to take the lead, and as we approach, Hala warmly acknowledges us, "Congratulations on clearing your trial in the Verdant Cavern. Good work. I suppose you are here to battle the kahuna? You think you and Pikachu are ready for me, Ash?"

"Absolutely. We're more than ready," I confidently respond.

"I have been waiting for this!" Hala exclaims with fervor.

As Professor Kukui officiates, Hala and I engage in a 3-on-3 battle. Hala announces, "My first Pokémon is Mankey!"

He releases his Pokémon onto the battlefield, and I swiftly respond, "Rowlet! I choose you!"

Mankey starts the battle with a Karate Chop, but Rowlet swiftly dodges it and counters with a Leafage attack, dealing significant damage to Mankey. I then command Rowlet to follow up with another Leafage attack, but Mankey quickly grabs Rowlet before the attack lands. Upon Hala's directive, Mankey executes a Low Kick, sending Rowlet spinning into the air, vulnerable to a powerful Focus Energy-enhanced Scratch attack.

"That Mankey sure is really tough..." Trenor says. "All that power is something to see!"

While airborne, Rowlet manages to regain composure, prompting me to strategize. "Rowlet, let's try Leafage again!" However, to my surprise, Mankey counters the move by rapidly striking back with Fury Swipes, blocking Rowlet's attack. Impressed by Mankey's resilience, I realize an opportunity and instruct Rowlet, "Use Leafage and sneak up behind Mankey!"

Rowlet stealthily approaches from behind, catching Mankey off guard with a sudden Peck attack. It continues its assault with a series of Pecks, catching Mankey off balance, unable to evade the barrage of attacks. Sensing an opening, Hala commands Mankey to defend itself using its pincer, setting up for a powerful Power-Up Punch with its other limb.

Quick on its feet, Rowlet manages to evade Mankey's subsequent Brutal Swing attack and retaliates with a well-timed Tackle, causing Mankey to crash forcefully into the ground, resulting in its defeat.

Hala sends out his second Pokémon, Makuhita. Makuhita starts with an Arm Thrust, narrowly missing Rowlet. I command a Leafage attack, but Makuhita counters with Close Combat, dealing a heavy blow to Rowlet.

Concerned, I persist, "Rowlet, Leafage again!" But Makuhita blocks and strikes back with Vital Throw, overpowering Rowlet.

"That Makuhita is stronger than the Mankey from before..." Rosa says.

"Ash..." Lillie is showing concern for me.

I decide to do another strategy, "Create an opening with Leafage and follow with Tackle!" However, Makuhita's swift moves evade most attacks, much to my surprise, and Makuhita's Strength overpowers Rowlet, leading to its defeat.

"You did great, Rowlet. Take a good rest." I say before sighing, "Oricorio! I choose you!"

With Oricorio now on the field, I command, "Let's go, Oricorio! Use Air Cutter!"