Chapter 62

On the inaugural day of the Pokemon League, the attendance seemed to have swelled with eager participants. Amidst the excitement, Acerola, with an enigmatic smile, greeted us but admitted she wasn't there to join the League, leaving us puzzled.

"Why aren't you competing?" I inquired, curious about her unexpected absence. Acerola's smirk hinted at a forthcoming revelation. "You'll find out soon enough," she replied.

Professor Kukui initiated the proceedings, welcoming both the League contenders and the enthusiastic crowd, officially inaugurating the Manalo Conference. The announcer took the stage, introducing the League's official judges: the four esteemed island kahunas - Olivia, Hala, Hapu, and Nanu. Explaining the format, it was revealed that 151 trainers were vying for the prestigious title of Alola League Winner, their journey to narrow down to the Top 16 through a series of Battle Royal-style matches.

The competitors assumed their positions, forming a vibrant array around the battlefield's perimeter. With a synchronized gesture from the island kahunas, a countdown commenced, accompanied by a chorus of trainers summoning their faithful Pokémon partners.

As the countdown hit zero, signaling the start of the preliminary round at the Manalo Conference, Lillie and I delved into intense battles against various trainers. Our dedication and the formidable power of the Z Crystals bolstered our performance, granting us a significant edge in the matches. Victorious in multiple encounters, we secured our places among the top contenders, earning spots within the coveted Top 16.

Amidst our accomplishment, a glance around revealed a heartening sight - our classmates, along with familiar faces like Guzma, Hau, Gladion, Principal Oak, Ilima, and Mina, had also advanced into the prestigious stage of the competition.

The matchups for the next stage were announced, setting the stage for intense battles: My first challenge was slated against Rosa, while Ilima was set to face off against Guzma. Surprising tension filled the air as Lillie discovered she was to compete against Gladion, her own brother. Alongside these matchups, the roster revealed equally gripping battles: Hau was paired against Principal Oak, Mallow against Lana, Sophocles against Mina, Selene against Trenor, and Kiawe against Nate. Each match posed a unique test, promising riveting displays of strategy, skill, and determination from all the competitors. The array of matchups indicated that every battle ahead would demand our utmost effort to navigate the competition successfully.

"Battle against my brother?" Lillie exclaimed in disbelief, clearly taken aback by the unexpected matchup.

"Seems like it's going to be quite the challenge for all of us," I remarked, acknowledging the formidable opponents lined up for each of us.

The Top 16 are actually one-on-one battles, Rosa and I are in the first match, Rosa decides to go for Malamar, and I decide to go for Shiinotic. Rosa's Malamar lunged forward, aiming a powerful Psycho Cut at Shiinotic, who swiftly dodged the attack with a graceful sidestep. Unfazed by the miss, Malamar followed up with a swift Topsy-Turvy, attempting to disorient Shiinotic's strategies. However, Shiinotic, being accustomed to such tactics, swiftly countered with a dazzling Moonblast, forcing Malamar to retreat hastily to evade the radiant burst.

"Now use Psybeam!" Malamar attempted a Psybeam, aiming directly at Shiinotic. Remaining calm and collected, Shiinotic takes the hit, but with a Strength Sap, it recovers all the health while lowering Malamar's power. When it tries Psycho Cut again, I smirk as the Ability Effect Spore is in effect. Shiinotic then uses Dazzling Gleam, knocking the Malamar out.

In the second round, Ilima Mega Evolve his Kangaskhan AND initially dominates with Power-Up Punch and Rock Slide, but Guzma's Scizor tactically exploits their dual attacks and positioning advantage, ultimately overwhelming Kangaskhan's defenses, securing Guzma's victory. In the stands, the Team Skull Grunts celebrate and Ilima's fan girls cry in disappointment, while the announcer exclaims his surprise at the front-runner getting defeated on the first round.