Chapter 56

After meeting up with the others in the Pokémon Center, we find ourselves among the few who haven't completed the Research Projects yet. The group greets us warmly, expressing their delight at seeing us with the Fairium-Z. To our surprise, Hapu is among them, and Mallow explains she was preparing food with the Poni Radishes for her.

"You did an admirable job completing Mina's trial." Hapu remarks. "I think it is time for your grand trial!"

"Finally," I exclaim with a smile.

As we step outside, we're immediately struck by the thick mist enveloping the area. Trenor voices our collective confusion, asking, "What's happening here?"

Hapu steps forward and informs us, "This mist is from Tapu Fini. It has the power to summon spirits from the afterlife."

"Spirits from the dead?" We're taken aback by this revelation. Hapu continues, "However, it's perilous. The mist blurs the boundary between our world and the next. Some who have ventured in never return. Reuniting with departed loved ones only to say goodbye again is emotionally trying. For those unable to bear that pain, they risk being ensnared in the mist forever."

Despite the dangers, it's evident that Mallow is determined to venture outside. Lana reveals Mallow's poignant reason: her mother fell ill and passed away before being able to reunite with Mallow, compelling Lana to seek her out.

We make the decision to follow Mallow, only to find ourselves unexpectedly ensnared within the mist's confines. Incineroar emerges from our pocket and dashes ahead, prompting Lillie to call out, "Incineroar, where are you going?"

As we rush after our Pokémon companion, I turn to Lillie and cautiously ask, "Lillie... considering this mist... do you think we might encounter departed loved ones we'd want to see again?"

"I'm not sure," Lillie responds thoughtfully. "Golly has been revived, my Dad returned from the Ultra Metropolis, and Lucario is here with us..."

Suddenly, to our astonishment, Stoutland materializes in front of us, and we gasp in disbelief, remembering its passing just a few months ago. Incineroar shows unbounded joy at seeing Stoutland once more.

Incineroar enthusiastically showcases its moves to Stoutland, visibly making the departed Pokémon proud. Stoutland, in turn, decides to impart the knowledge of using Fire Blast to Incineroar. As the training concludes, recalling Hapu's warning, we attempt to dissuade Incineroar from utilizing the new move. As the mist starts to dissipate, Stoutland begins to fade away, prompting Incineroar to exchange heartfelt words with its spectral mentor before Stoutland vanishes completely.

"Ash! Lillie!" Our classmates rush over to us in concern. Trenor anxiously asks, "Are you both alright?"

"Yeah," I reply, taking a moment to gather my thoughts. Amidst the commotion, we notice Mallow returning with a Shaymin, a Mythical Pokémon. Shaymin expresses its desire to remain by Mallow's side until the day it's ready to take flight.

Hapu joins us, expressing relief. "I'm grateful Tapu Fini halted the mist before it became too dangerous. Now, Ash, Lillie, your Grand Trial awaits you on Exeggutor Island."

"Exeggutor Island it is," I acknowledge, understanding the significance of the location. With that settled, we make our way to set sail, embarking towards Exeggutor Island together.

Standing on the battlefield with Hapu, she begins by stating, "In this grand trial, we will engage in a battle. We invoke the presence of Tapu Fini, guardian of the waves around Poni Island. May its serene tranquility and powerful force cleanse both myself and my challengers."

Turning towards us, Hapu elaborates, "This will be a four-on-four Double Battle. As the first grand trial of Kahuna Hapu, I'll give it my all in this battle!"