Chapter 44

Arriving at Aether Paradise's harbor, Gladion's caution is evident as he warns, "Aether Paradise's harbor... We made it this far without running into trouble. But I don't like how quiet it is. You guys... stay alert."

Hau, unfamiliar with the situation, questions, "But... Why would Nebby be here at Aether Paradise?"

I respond, "Faba is the one who took Nebby, and he's working here. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out."

Trenor inquires, "So what's the plan? Should we start asking around?"

Lillie responds, "I suppose... we'll take the elevator."

"You suppose? Are you suggesting you don't have a concrete plan?" Selene questions, seeking clarification on Lillie's uncertain approach.

As we navigate through Aether Paradise, the employees, despite recognizing Gladion and Lillie as the children of the president, are on high alert and attempt to attack us. We find ourselves forced to battle our way through, confronting the employees until we finally reach the elevator.

Gladion and Lillie attempt to activate the elevator, only to find it unresponsive. Gladion grumbles, "Hmph. Just as I suspected..."

Hau, puzzled, questions, "What were you doing there?"

"It seems outsiders like us aren't permitted to use the main elevator to access the lower levels," Lillie explains with a hint of disappointment. "I had a feeling this might happen. But it's still a bother."

"So, it looks like we're heading up instead," I suggest, recognizing that there's no other immediate choice.

We arrive at the first floor, and there stands Faba, waiting for us. "I, Faba, am the Aether Branch Chief. The only one in the world, I'm irreplaceable. And here you come back...uninvited?"

Gladion retorts, "Like you don't know why. You of all people should know everything that happens in the Aether Foundation. Isn't that right, high-and-mighty Branch Chief?"

"Hee hee hee! Look at you..." Faba chuckles. "Living out in the world hasn't been kind, has it? But I'm still not telling you anything! And you of all people should understand why... Gladion."

"Hey, Ash. You know why being a Trainer is so great?" Gladion inquires.

"Yeah, because when you're battling, it doesn't matter if you're a kid or an adult. Everyone's equal in Pokémon battles!" I respond.

Faba interjects mockingly, "Oh ho... Is that right? Is that what you think? So you wish to battle me? Branch Chief Faba? The man who is called Aether Paradise's last line of defense is to battle a mere child?! As you will!"

Faba attempts to intervene by commanding Hypno to use Hypnosis, hoping to halt our progress. However, Absol, being a Dark-type Pokémon, defies the drowsy effect and launches a swift Night Slash, ultimately rendering Hypno unconscious.

"H-h-how can this be?! How could this child..." Faba gasps in disbelief.

"Aue, look at you, Ash! And Faba is real strong, too!" Hau remarks.

Lillie cuts to the chase, demanding, "Faba, where is Nebby? You know what we're here for."

"Indeed... The world truly hasn't been kind to you, has it? Look how hard it has made you. If you're looking for Cosmog, I suppose it might be downstairs," Faba reluctantly divulges.

"Downstairs?! Oh yeah! Ms. Wicke did say there was another level farther down, didn't she... What do you do down there?!" Hau inquires.

"Experiments to reach a world different from Alola... That's what I've been told, yes," Faba explains with a casual shrug.