I need a moment...

January 2nd
I'm not like you

•••••

"Ed? Ed you in here?"

Edmund stayed quiet where he lay on the sofa, legs over the edge, staring up at the ceiling with his hands resting on his chest.

"Edmund?"

Still he stayed quiet, even when Peter noticed he was there he didn't say or do anything.

"What are you doing?"

Edmund sighed at the question, shrugging a little and keeping his eyes on the ceiling.

Peter seemed concerned by this, and wondered over, stopping by his brothers side. "You're missing your party." He pointed out.

Edmund finally glanced at him, not looking very bothered by what he'd just said. "I think I'll be okay." He told him.

Peter frowned a little. "Ed what's up?" He asked.

Edmund hesitated. "I just needed a moment, is that not okay?" He replied.

"No that's fine," Peter said slowly. "As long as you're okay?"

Edmund smiled weakly. "I'm not like you, I can't stay at those gatherings the entire time, it's too much." He said. "Just give me ten minutes and I'll be back okay?"

Peter stared at his brother for a moment or two, before slowly nodding his head. "I get it, don't worry." He said gently. "Although I would hurry, the cake's almost gone."

Edmund smirked a little. "Save me a piece." He laughed. "Or I'll cry."

Peter chuckled. "I'll see what I can do." He replied.

"Thank you." Edmund said quietly, going back to staring at the ceiling.

Peter stood there for a few more seconds before he turned and left, heading back for the ballroom where the party was being held.

"Did you find him?"

He almost jumped when Lucy came up beside him, straightening the tiara on her head with a frown.

"Yeah, he said he needed a minute." Peter told her.

Lucy nodded. "Yeah, he's like that." She said with a small smile. "He'll be absolutely fine when he comes back, he enjoys stuff like this, even if he does need a break."

Peter smiled softly down at his sister as she spoke, proud of how understanding and gentle she was about the whole thing. She was really turning into a beautiful young women and he could not be prouder.

"You reckon you can go grab him a slice of cake before it goes?" He asked.

Lucy nodded. "Course." She replied, hurrying off to the food table.

Peter smiled after her, waiting patiently for Edmund to return, and pulling him close with one arm when he did.

"Better?"

Edmund chuckled gently, nodding his head. "Yeah," He breathed. "Thank you."

•••••••••••