He's scared of you

May 29th
Who needs sleep?

•••••••

The two brothers just stared at each other, one stood in the doorway, the other sat at the kitchen table, a mug of tea held in his cold hands.

"How come you're awake?" Peter asked slowly.

Edmund shrugged. "Couldn't sleep." He murmured, taking a sip.

Peter stayed where he was for a while before nodding and joining his brother at the table.

"You?"

"Same." Peter breathed.

Edmund smiled a little. "Oh well," He murmured. "Who needs sleep right?"

Peter smiled weakly in reply. "Fair enough." He replied.

The two sat in silence for a long while after this, Edmund occasionally taking sips of his tea, before Peter sighed. "You ready for tomorrow?" He asked slowly.

Edmund scoffed. "Ready to go and live with Eustace?" He questioned. "I don't think anyone could be ready for that."

Peter nodded. "I wish you didn't have to go, trust me." He breathed.

Edmund shrugged. "It's not your fault, you didn't get a say." He told him.

"Wish you could've come with me." Peter said.

"I would've just distracted you from your studying." Edmund said with a small smirk. "You'd get annoyed with me after a while."

"No I wouldn't." Peter chuckled quietly. "It'd be nice I think."

Edmund took a deep breath, "Well, unfortunately it's not happening." He breathed. "But hopefully living with Eustace won't last for too long."

Peter nodded in agreement. "If he gives you any trouble give me a call and I'll be on the next train down." He joked.

Edmund just laughed. "You may as well just come with me." He said.

Peter smiled. "Come on, we all know he's scared of you." He teased. "You even look at him funny and he's sprinting up the stairs, remember our visit last year?"

Edmund did indeed remember. "That made me laugh." He reminisced.

"It made everyone laugh." Peter said. "Except maybe Eustace."

"Oh definitely."

The two fell quiet again, and Peter waited for Edmund to finish his tea before patting him on the shoulder. "Come on, we should head back to bed." He said.

Edmund nodded. "Yeah okay." He breathed, standing and taking his cup to the sink.

"Try not to think about how awful it's gonna be." Peter murmured. "Besides, you'll have Lucy, you can both maybee try and make the best of a bad situation?"

"I guess." Edmund agreed. "But yeah, we'll be alright."

••••••••••••••