18

The next morning Sirius woke up alone. He got dressed walking down the the great hall seeing his friends sat laughing and joking.
"Hey guys." He stood near them Remus got up and Peter followed walking out.
"Lily, Lena. Let's go." The two got up and Sirius stood infront of James.
"Prongs come on... we're brothers." James shrugged.
"I don't have a brother." He left with lily and Lena hesitated seeing the tears in his eyes. "Lena come on!" James shouted from the doorway and Lena looked at her boyfriend with worry.
"Lena please. I'm sorry okay?"
"Lena now!" She huffed shaking her head.
"I'm not the one you should be saying sorry to Sirius." She walked off to James, Sirius stood for a moment fighting back his tears before leaving and going back to the dorms. They weren't there, he laid in bed crying to himself the others didn't return til home nightfall. They were laughing and joking about their day as he laid there pretending to sleep.
The next day was much of the same, every class Sirius was ignored and not even given a glance, when he did speak he was greeted with remarks from Remus and James "you boys hear something?"
"Nah nothing." It's went on for days he couldn't even get Lena alone, where ever she went James was there ushering her away and shushing her. That was when the letter came.
"Sirius?" Lena walked into the common room finding him in tears and shaking. "Are you alright?" She got closer and he darted up clinging to her.
"Please don't leave, Lena I'm so sorry." She held him for a moment spotting the letter on the table.
"What is that?" He choked on a sob and she pushed him away managing to look at his tear stained face. She held his face and wiped his tears. "Sirius what happened?"
"My father, he's dead."

She managed to calm him down and made him some tea sitting down infront of him.
"I shouldn't be sad you know? He abused me for years, made my life hell but he's still my father." Lena sat listening to him for the first time in weeks he was being listened too, he wasn't being shut out. He pulled the blanket round his shoulders. "I just want to make things right, I just don't know how. I didn't mean to hurt Remus, Lena you have to believe me I didn't mean for it to happen." She bit her lip looking at the time.
"Look they'll be back soon I'll talk to them but Sirius, you hurt Remus. He could've ended up in Azkaban. You played with fire and you weren't the one it would've burned. I don't know if he'll ever trust you again." Sirius nodded as the door opened.
"Hey Lena guess- what are you doing with him?" Peter said as the others walk in.
"Remus, can we talk please?" Lena got up, Remus looked at Sirius feeling sick then back at Lena.
"Fine." She lead Remus to his dorm sitting down on James' bed.
"He's hurting Remus."
"I could've gone to prison." She hesitated to carry on but decided she didn't want this to go on.
"I know and he knows that, Sirius has been let down you know that he wasn't exactly taught right from wrong."
"Don't do that Lena. Don't defend him like he's a child. He knew what he was doing!" Remus got up pacing around the room.
"Remus I know how angry you are-"
"No! No you don't! I could've killed snape! I could've become a murderer! I've gone my whole life scared to hurt people and he made that a reality! I'm no better than the monster who made me this!" Remus sat down with his head in his hands. Lena came to sit on the ground by his feet.
"Mooney, you are nothing like him. You are kind and gentle, what happened that night was awful but it wasn't you okay? Talk to Sirius. Be the bigger person in all of this, don't let him become an outcast okay? Shout at him all you want just please can we try and fix this." Remus placed a hand over hers and hesitated.
"Fine. But I'm not doing it alone."
"I'll be there, so will the others."

The group sat in the common room in silence, Sirius looked around and for the first time in weeks made eye contact with Remus bursting into tears.
"I'm sorry... Remus I'm so sorry."
"You nearly ruined my life." He said in a low voice full of anger.
"I know, Remus I will do anything to make it up to you please I'm so sorry."
"Stop grovelling, it's weird." James said feeling rather uncomfortable.
"I just want my friends back. I want to make it right. Please." Remus looked at the floor and Lena swore her breathing stopped just hoping they can resolve it all.
"I don't know if I could ever trust you again, I trusted you with everything. And you betrayed that. I don't know how I could trust you again."
"I know, and I will try everyday to make you feel safe and like you can trust me. I promise. I promise to all of you, I won't stop trying until my dying day." James stepped forward.
"What about the unbreakable vow?" Remus looked up with a frown. "Sirius will promise not to betray Remus again and everything is settled."
"I'll do it, whatever it takes." Sirius stood up.
"Mooney?" James asked and Remus nodded.
"You know if you break this it will kill you?" Sirius nodded.
"Yes that's how serious I am about this."
"Alright let's do it."