35

"Lee!" James whined
"Jamie!" She whined back holding her nephew.
"Lily she's holding my son hostage." Sirius walked over taking the baby from his wife.
"Children if you can't play nicely." The door opened and Remus walked in.
"Mooney thank his someone save me from this lunacy." Sirius chuckled, Lena said nothing and James looked between the two getting up.
"Nope!" Lily dragged him back down. "Presents!" It was Christmas Day and the group gathered around opening presents.
"Quidditch tickets! Holy shit!" Sirius opened them and lily smiled.
"You're welcome, Evie." She passed Lena the present she opened it seeing her favourite book. She flicked through the pages finding a passage highlighted.

"I've loved you ever since I've known you, Jo, couldn't help it, you've been so good to me. I've tried to show it, but you wouldn't let me. Now I'm going to make you hear, and give me an answer, for I can't go on so any longer."
"I wanted to save you this. I thought you'd understand..." began Jo, finding it a great deal harder than she expected.
"I know you did, but the girls are so queer you never know what they mean. They say no when they mean yes, and drive a man out of his wits just for the fun of it," returned Laurie, entrenching himself behind an undeniable fact.
"I don't. I never wanted to make you care for me so, and I went away to keep you from it if I could."
"I thought so. It was like you, but it was no use. I only loved you all the more, and I worked hard to please you, and I gave up billiards and everything you didn't like, and waited and never complained, for I hoped you'd love me, though I'm not half good enough..." Here there was a choke that couldn't be controlled, so he decapitated buttercups while he cleared his 'confounded throat'.
"You, you are, you're a great deal too good for me, and I'm so grateful to you, and so proud and fond of you, I don't know why I can't love you as you want me to. I've tried, but I can't change the feeling, and it would be a lie to say I do when I don't."
"Really, truly, Jo?"
He stopped short, and caught both her hands as he put his question with a look that she did not soon forget.
"Really, truly, dear."

She looked at her husband with a smile and he looked around confused.
"What?"
"How did you know?" He took the book form her reading it and chuckling a bit.
"I didn't do this. Prongs? Lily?" She looked over at Remus who was completely silent.
"You've got to be kidding me." Lena shook her head and James looked at his wife.
"Take harry upstairs." She did as asked and Sirius looked around smiling.
"What's going on? Who-" he saw Remus and Lena with their eyes locked and his smile dropped. "I-" he got up and Lena went to follow him.
"Sirius wait." He turned around pushing her hands away from him.
"What Lena? You gonna explain this? Go on!" She stopped for a minute and he looked at Remus who hadn't said a word. Then, he left the room James went after him and Lena shook her head.
"You've ruined everything!"
"Lena."
"No! I told you to stop! I told you to stay away Remus!"
"Lena." Lily said from the top of the stairs and Lena disappeared off with her friend. Remus went into the kitchen finding James and Sirius having hushed words over a cigarette. James turned around and was about to ask Remus to give them a moment but Sirius spoke first.
"Are you in love with my wife Remus?" Remus stepped in from the doorway and Sirius scoffed.
"Sirius, I'm sorry-"
"No you aren't. Don't fucking lie to me Remus. You've obviously done enough of that." James felt uncomfortable with the whole thing but refused to leave he knew Sirius would hit him, hell if he was in his position he would've.
"I overstepped and I'm sorry."
"Overstepped! You just confessed your love for her infront of everyone! 'My dearest Evangeline, I can't express enough how deeply I care for you!' You wrote that Remus! To my wife! My wife!"
"I know! It was wrong of me but-"
"What I wasn't supposed to know?"
"I've been trying to get her to tell you for years!" It was like all the air left the room the moment the words left Remus' mouth. James rubbed his face and Sirius took a step back.
"Are you sleeping with my wife?"
"No! God Sirius I wouldn't do that!"
"Oh but you'll write her love letters and give her poetry?! How long has this been going on!"
"Sirius let's take a deep breath okay." Sirius looked at his brother in law and it all clicked.
"You knew?"
"I found out at the wedding I swear-"
"The wedding? My wedding?" The room fell silent again and he laughed turning away. "You've got to be kidding me! Lena! Lena come here please!"
"No Sirius you don't understand!"
"Piss off both of you! Lena! We're going home!" Remus grabbed his arm and Sirius pushed him away knocking him against the wall. "You stay away from my wife Remus. Just keep the fuck away." Lena came down the stairs and Sirius passed her her jacket. "We're going home now okay?" She nodded saying goodbye to her brother.
"Lena..." Remus called and she looked back at him with tears in her eyes. "Please don't go..." she didn't say a word only followed Sirius out the door.