64

He watched from the staircase as they took her body away, he wasn't sure what to do with himself really. She had looked so peaceful laying on the bed, like she was just sleeping. Remus walked over placing a hand on his shoulder.
"Wanna go for a drink? Stay with me for a few days?" Sirius nodded to him getting his coat on. Remus drove them to a bar. They sat in silence for what seemed like hours, Remus was burst with questions but knew now was not the time.
"She was pregnant, that why we were leaving... I promised her that this time was different. I promised I wouldn't leave her alone." Remus' heart broke for his friend not only was he grieving his wife but his whole family. Sirius on the other hand was angry, again he had lost everything. Again he was left alone because of a stupid war he didn't ask for. "We were meant to leave this morning but I had some last minute things to clean up... this is all my fault..."
"Sirius you can't think that..." he looked down at his bruised wrists from his struggles and could barely breath.
"I don't even know what to do with myself, oh god what am I going to tell Harry?" He wasn't wrong, his only surviving family was now gone, the boy had lost too much at such a young age. God knew how he was going to take this.
"Let me handle that alright?" Sirius nodded taking a sip of his beer.
"Thank you Remus."

Remus put Sirius to bed that night opting to sleep on the couch. In favour for Sirius having the bed. He sat there for a moment and then he started to cry silently to himself. He had lost her yet again, and this time he didn't even get to say goodbye. If Sirius had fought a little harder she would still be here. After the funeral that would be it he would be done with Sirius and the trail of death that followed him, Remus only knew one thing he wouldn't burry anyone else.

"Hey Lee..." she was standing by the front door paused for a moment seeing her brother. There was childish giggles behind him from the lounge, he looked the same except slightly more tired.
"Lena..." a voice called from the room, her mother. The breath caught in her throat.
"Am I dead?" He gave her a sympathetic smile and held out a hand.
"Mama!" She looked at him longingly reaching out for his hand.
"Come on let's get you settled...."