We Can't Be Friends - Mark

***This imagine was inspired on the song We Can't Be Friends by Ariana Grande***

Sitting in silence, you play with the fabric of the couch while the boy in the same room hits aggressively his keyboard, working on a song in his computer. You got too many things in your mind, in a way that you can't even bear to grab your cellphone anymore or do anything else. It's been like that for some days already, and you hoped he would never notice, even if it was getting worse and worse day by day. You know that it is coming the day when you couldn't do it anymore, despite trying so hard to pretend that everything is like it once was.

-I'm feeling tired. I think I'm going home. – You say, standing up from the couch, taking the opportunity that Mark is in the middle of his work. He never stops when he is working. However, this time his eyes deviated from the screen, following you with his eyes.

You were too quiet today. Actually, he found you a little weird for some days now. He thought it was just in his head, and it wasn't a big deal, but the way you turned your back at him right now, without even looking at his eyes, is more than a prove that something is not right.

-Hey! Wait! – He gets off his computer, walking fast by the house to get to you. His nak3d feet hit the floor until he holds you by the arm, before you could leave by the front door. – Why are you leaving like this? Is there something wrong? You were quiet all day long. I mean, every day, actually. – He says, investigating your eyes.

So, he had noticed. You knew it was going to happen, but not today. You are not ready for this kind of talk right now. Unfortunately, he knew you like the palm of his hand. Even for a boy who has his eyes focused on a computer screen all day long, of course there's something wrong.

-You need to work on your song. We can talk more tomorrow. – You say, not looking back at his intense gaze, taking his hand away from your arm, just for him to grab it again stronger.

-The song doesn't matter. Tell me what's wrong. - He insists, making your heart tighter at each word. He was always so addicted to work. Why does he need to give you more attention now? It's making it even harder for you.

You sigh, controlling the feelings inside you, chaining it for some seconds, to be able to look at his eyes. This way you can try to fake to him that you are okay.

-I just have some things in mind right now. Not a big deal. Don't worry. I gotta go. – You say, grabbing the doorknob, but he pushes the door with his hand, closing it again. You roll your eyes, turning slowly at him whose eyes were running by your face as if you were an unknown person who had just barged in his house.

-You won't leave this house until you tell me what's up. – He says in a serious tone. Perfect. Now he got in his serious mode. When he puts something in his mind, he won't give up until getting what he wants.

The worst is that you're terrible at lying and you have no idea of how starting this conversation. To say the truth, you don't even know what you're feeling exactly. You haven't put it in words even for yourself. Mark frowns in confusion, watching you hesitating.

-I think... I shouldn't keep coming to your house. I think I'm gonna stay away for some time. – You say, and Mark gets even more confused.

-Ugh? Why? Are you bored? Did I work for too long and didn't give you attention? – He asks, and you feel your heart hurting. You knew he was going to react like this, and he is not wrong. You're the one who is.

-No. It's okay if you work while I'm here. – You pause again, biting your lips. Now you can't take it back anymore. You already started it, and he is not going to let it be. – I can't keep seeing you anymore. We can't be friends, Mark. – Mark arches his eyebrows in shock, hearing it for the first time, out of nowhere.

-Why? Is it something I said? Explain to me. – He asks anxiously, tightening the grip on your arm, fearing that you would go away without explaining the reason. His breathing gets unbalanced seeing your eyes getting teary, trying to remember what he had done these days, but it was the same as usual. – What did I do, Y/n? – He asks again while your eyes look everywhere but his.

-Nothing. You didn't do anything wrong. – You say, now looking up at him. He shrugs, still not understanding a thing, seeing a tear rolling down your cheek.

He looks so cute when he is confused, and so handsome with home clothes. Just this feeling of security you feel from him tells you that you must put a period on the friendship you have.

-I... - You gulp, looking away again. Mark's heartbeats run desperately while staring at your face, waiting for you to say something. – I have... feelings... for you, Mark. – You finally say it, and Mark's eyes slightly widen, not expecting hearing it.

You two stay silent. Mark opens his mouth to say something, but closes it again, not knowing what to say. The air suddenly changed between you two. His eyes are not seeing you in the same way as 5 seconds ago, and neither is his heart.

-I know I messed everything up, but I need some time alone. I can't be your friend like before. – You say, wiping your tears off. Mark just stays there in shock, still holding your arm. - Sorry. – You say, pushing his hand away again and opening the door, but he closes it another time.

-No, wait. Let's... talk about it. You don't need to move away. – Mark says, and you shake your head, looking at him.