Chapter 4

Jinchuan knew he was dreaming, and in his dream he returned to the day when his mother died.

The snow outside the window fell softly, and a thick layer of snow accumulated on the ground overnight, which could cover his calves if he stepped into it.

It had been dawn for a long time, but no one came to sweep the snow, and no one came to the small courtyard where they lived.

Jinchuan knew why, because it was Aunt Zhao's birthday, and all the servants in the family rushed over there to celebrate and help.

He could even imagine the lively scene in another courtyard in this house, which was so different from theirs.

The charcoal basin in the house was about to burn out, leaving only a few sparks, just like his mother lying on the bed, who knew when it would run out of oil and burn out.

Jinchuan wanted to get some charcoal at dawn, but he couldn't go out. A few days ago, his father had ordered people to lock their courtyard. Except for the servants who opened the door to deliver things, the door was locked at other times. He strictly forbade the mother and son to go out, saying that they were afraid of bringing the disease to others.

He went to call the door half an hour ago, but no one answered.

After that, his mother didn't allow him to go out, saying that she was afraid he would get cold.

But Jinchuan didn't feel cold at all. He had a fever last night, and now he just felt hot.

But he didn't dare to say it, because he was afraid his mother would worry.

After the charcoal basin was extinguished, Jinchuan took out a cloak from the cabinet next to him and put it on the quilt for his mother.

The cloak was red and looked a bit old. When the woman on the bed saw it, she couldn't help but stretch out her bony hand from the quilt and stroked the cloak back and forth a few times, and her eyes gradually became distant.

I don’t know if it was because seeing the old things reminded her of the past, the woman seemed to be in a much better spirit. She forced herself to sit up from the bed, took Jinchuan’s hand and told him: "Son, you must live well and leave this home."

Jinchuan felt that his mother’s hands were cold, as cold as the icicles hanging on the eaves, but the strength of holding his hand tightly gave him the belief to live...

In his dream, he told himself that he had survived the difficult days after his mother’s death before, and he would definitely be able to do it this time.

...

Yu Zhou stayed in the house for nearly an hour, and after confirming that the temperature on his forehead had dropped and he should wake up soon, he went to do other things.

At noon, he ate the meal sent by Chen Feng again. This was two meals in a row. He couldn’t expect Aunt Chen’s family to give him food at night. Moreover, only the main room of these rooms could sleep, so he had to give it to the boy tonight. If he didn’t arrange the sleeping place in the afternoon, he would have no place to sleep at night.

Fortunately, the side room of the house had been occupied before, and the bed was still there. Although there were a lot of sundries and farm tools piled up, they could be tidied up.

Yu Zhou took out two quilts from the cabinet in the main room and hung them on the bamboo poles in the yard to dry.

He saw these two quilts when he checked the things in the house yesterday, but he didn't know how long they hadn't been used. He could feel the moisture when he touched them, not to mention the unpleasant musty smell.