Chapter 58

Jinchuan knew Yu Zhou very well. When Yu Zhou just frowned slightly, he knew that the sweet potatoes in his field had been stolen.

However, several people from the village were invited to help today. Yu Zhou did not tell anyone about the theft, and he would not mention it either.

Although Chen Feng was not as tacit as Jinchuan and Yu Zhou, he was watching from the ridge when Yu Zhou was marking yesterday. He felt something was wrong and asked, "Did someone steal sweet potatoes at night?"

"About one basket was stolen." Yu Zhou picked up a few rotten sweet potatoes from the field and handed them to Chen Feng who came over. "We were very careful when we dug yesterday. Even if we accidentally dug a few rotten ones, we picked them up. The people who came to steal sweet potatoes didn't dare to light torches. They only used the moonlight to drop several rotten ones on the field."

"And this field is obviously wetter than the place we dug before. They must have come to steal in the second half of the night."

His speech was well-reasoned. The grumpy man who came to help immediately said hurriedly, "This is too much. The farmers in the field dare to steal. Who in the village can sleep peacefully in the future?"

"That's right, who doesn't have something outside all year round? Zhou, go to the headman's house and ask him to catch the thief. "

Some people also expressed doubt, "Our village has always been a good place. I haven't heard of anyone losing melons or fruits in recent years. It's not right to do this for these sweet potatoes."

After saying this, the man was afraid that Yu Zhou would misunderstand, and hurriedly explained: "I don't doubt that you said that the sweet potatoes were stolen. I just can't think of anyone who would do such a shameless thing."

Yu Zhou has lived in Yujia Village for so long, and his understanding of the village's atmosphere is self-evident. Therefore, after hearing this, he said: "I understand what you mean, Uncle Liu, let's put this aside first. Today, I'll trouble you all to help me collect all the sweet potatoes in the field."

As the saying goes, catch the thief and the stolen goods. If you don't catch someone digging sweet potatoes in their field on the spot, you have already lost the best opportunity. Even if you make a big fuss and ask the headman to investigate, it may not be found. After all, the thief is not stupid. He will hide the stolen things and wait for him to find them.

Yu Zhou paid these people for helping to dig sweet potatoes, and after all, the stolen sweet potatoes were not theirs. When Yu Zhou said to put them down first, some people didn't say much even if they thought it was not good.

Only Uncle Chen and Chen Feng whispered to each other and said to Yu Zhou: "After you dig up your sweet potatoes, only the ones in my field will be left."

Yu Zhou didn't need Uncle Chen to explain too clearly, he knew what he meant. If the sweet potatoes in his field hadn't been stolen, it would be fine. But if all the sweet potatoes in his field were stolen, it would be unreasonable to keep Uncle Chen here to help, so he hurriedly said: "You and Chen Feng should go quickly."

"Then I'll leave first." Uncle Chen and Chen Feng said before leaving with their hoes, "If you are worried that you can't finish digging today, go to the village and find two more people to help."

The people who had already started working were not happy, "It's just a few sweet potatoes. If each of us takes a short break, we can dig them out."

"That's right," the others echoed, "Who knows who will finish work first in the afternoon."

The words were spoken, and everyone worked very actively that day. Before dark, not only did they dig up all the sweet potatoes in Yu Zhou's field and send them back, but they also went to help Uncle Chen's family finish the work.