Chapter 61

The Chen family was like this, so Yu Zhou and Jin Chuan had to show some concern.

Therefore, before they sat down, Yu Zhou asked, "What happened?"

Mrs. Chen and Uncle Chen sighed and sat down, staring at the empty bowls on the table, and didn't show any signs of talking for a long time.

After waiting for a while, Aunt Chen said, "Didn't it snow today? Xiao Juan asked her brother to accompany her to the mountains to catch rabbits, but the two of them had so much fun that they ran to Qing'an Cave and met Chen Feng's unmarried wife."

After listening, Yu Zhou looked up at Chen Feng and thought to himself, no wonder the always chattering man suddenly became so quiet, it turned out to be about his unmarried wife.

However, since it was related to the other party's unmarried wife, Yu Zhou, although they were brothers, didn't ask too much.

Jinchuan likes to talk about these things a lot. He had heard Aunt Chen mention Chen Feng's fiancee before. After a little thought, he asked tentatively: "But did you see her working?"

"Yes," Aunt Chen sighed deeply, "In this weather, the water in the pond is almost frozen, and she is still washing diapers for her brother and sister-in-law's son. When Xiaojuan went to find her, she saw that her hands were frozen and cracked."

Jinchuan and Yuzhou couldn't help shivering when they heard it. It was very cold these days. If anyone in their village had some clothes to wash, it would never make sense for a girl to wash them in the river.

Not to mention their two families. As far as they knew, Aunt Chen had never asked Xiaojuan to wash clothes since the weather turned cold, saying that she was afraid that she would get frostbite and affect her embroidery learning from Jinchuan.

Their family is similar. Yu Zhou is a considerate and caring person. He didn't have time to go up the mountain to chop firewood before winter came, so he bought it from the villagers. Now that he has been burning for so long, there is still half a yard of firewood piled up behind the house. It is estimated that there will be some left until the beginning of spring, so there is no shortage of hot water for everything.

If you don’t have to endure that kind of suffering, it will be even harder to just stand by and watch others suffer.

Xiaojuan sniffed and added, “She was wearing very thin clothes. I wanted to take off my coat to give to her, but she refused.”

Mrs. Chen looked at Xiaojuan seriously and taught her a lesson: "As a girl who has not been engaged, you are not allowed to say the words 'take off clothes' in public, no matter what the circumstances are!"

She was always kind, especially to Xiaojuan, and rarely spoke with such a stern face.

Xiaojuan was startled and stammered, "I...I won't do that again."

Aunt Chen nodded slowly, "She was right not to want your coat. Not to mention that you were going to give her a coat in broad daylight, even if you had an extra coat, how would you explain it to her brother and sister-in-law if she wore it back?"

"It's better than freezing." Xiaojuan muttered.

"Silly child, I and your parents have spoiled you too much," Aunt Chen sighed and shook her head. "When Xiaoyu's parents were alive, she had enough to eat and wear. It's only been two winters, and her clothes were not too old to wear. Don't you think about why she has nothing to wear?"

"I..." Xiaojuan bit her lip and thought for a moment before whispering, "Because of her sister-in-law, I heard from people in their village once before that her sister-in-law treated her badly."