Chapter 112

Provincial Examination

Compared with the three rounds of the Tongsheng Examination, the provincial examination is more difficult and takes longer.

Since the academy was closed, Yu Zhou and his group began to prepare for the examination, going to bed early and getting up early, exercising regularly, and even reading books, combining work and rest.

The provincial examination consists of three rounds, each lasting three days and two nights, and the first round will be held on the ninth day of the eighth lunar month.

On the eighth day of the eighth lunar month, a group of people gathered at He Yunqi's house for lunch and chatted for a while about things unrelated to the examination. They agreed to go to the Imperial Examination Hall together tomorrow morning, and then go back to their own homes, preparing to rest early and rest up enough to cope with the subsequent examinations.

After returning to his own home, Yu Wenliang said hello and went straight back to his room.

Yu Zhou and Jinchuan took Chenchen to play in the yard. It happened to be the time when peaches were ripe, and the pink peaches fell all over the tree.

Chenchen inherited Yuzhou's preference and also liked to eat peaches, but Yuzhou and Jinchuan didn't dare to let him eat too much because he was young and had a weak stomach. A quarter of a peach was the daily standard they set for Chenchen.

He didn't have time to eat this morning, but when Chenchen saw the peach, he remembered it and pulled Yuzhou's sleeve and shouted, "Father, peach!"

Yuzhou didn't know whether to laugh or cry. He chose a ripe peach, held Chenchen to the same height as the peach, and then pointed at the peach and asked, "Eat this?"

"Yes!" Chenchen nodded his head heavily.

Yuzhou picked the peach, washed it with water from the bucket by the well, peeled it with a knife, and then gave a quarter of it to Chenchen, letting Chenchen eat it himself.

He also cut the remaining peaches into pieces and was about to put them into his mouth when Jinchuan stopped him, "You can't eat them today either."

Yu Zhou paused and asked in confusion, "Why?"

"Peaches are bad for the stomach."

Yu Zhou was helpless, "Eating too many peaches will cause stomach problems." Although he said so, he still put the remaining pieces back on the plate as he was told.

As the two were talking, the door of the east wing opened with a creak, and Yu Wenliang stuck his head out from behind the door, pointing to the small flowerbed in the middle of the yard where Jinchuan had planted vegetables and asked, "Brother Xiaozhou, I want to water the vegetables, can I?"

Yu Zhou and Jinchuan looked at each other, and both of them held back their laughter and nodded seriously, "Yes."

Yu Wenliang exhaled lightly, as if he was afraid that Yu Zhou would suddenly regret it, he quickly ran to the well, picked up a bucket of water, and watered the vegetables planted by Jinchuan one by one.

When Chenchen saw it, he took the peach piece and ran over with his short legs to join in the fun while chewing it.

When Yu Wenliang watered the green onions, he said happily, "Green onions!"

Yu Wenliang seemed to be infected by Chenchen's emotions. His stiff back relaxed a lot, and even the watering action became more natural. He smiled and replied, "Yes, this is green onions."

When he watered the next thing, he told Chenchen what it was in a soft voice. Chenchen didn't learn it the first time, so he was patient and taught him again and again.