Chapter 72

County Examination

When entering the examination room, candidates were ranked by their scores, with 50 people in each row. When the county magistrate called their names, the candidates entered with their examination baskets.

Among the three people, Yu Wenliang was the first to enter the examination room. He lined up in front of Yu Zhou and He Yunqi. When his name was called, he habitually looked back at Yu Zhou, who nodded slightly. Yu Wenliang then entered the examination room with his examination basket.

After Yu Wenliang entered, it was He Yunqi's turn.

Yu Zhou was the last to enter the examination room. When he entered, there were not many people left in the yard.

But the atmosphere was still tense and stagnant. Except for the county magistrate's calling the names, no one else spoke. Even when making necessary movements, everyone tried not to make any noise.

In this atmosphere, Yu Zhou also subconsciously lowered his footsteps.

After crossing the high dragon gate, the scenery of the inner courtyard was in full view.

There were several rows of paper-pasted lanterns in the courtyard, illuminating the huge inner courtyard as bright as day, so that the examiners could search the whole body of the examinees.

Yu Zhou walked to the waiting examiner, handed the examination basket to him, and after checking it one by one, he untied the belt of his coat as he was told, and let the examiner search him from head to toe.

After the inspection, he stood among the waiting examinees, and waited for everyone to enter before bowing to the examiner together.

At this time, the scholars who acted as guarantors had also entered from the other side. An official stood at the entrance of the central hall and sang the guarantor. The examinee whose name was called entered the hall to receive the paper. After the guarantor confirmed that the person was correct, the scholar acknowledged that he was the guarantor for the rest of his life.

Even if Yu Zhou had taken the college entrance examination before he traveled through time, he had never experienced such a complicated pre-exam inspection.

When he found his seat number according to the examination paper and sat down, the sky in the east had already turned pale.

Yu Zhou followed his habit of taking exams for more than a decade, and filled in his name and other information before he started to check the questions.

The first day of the exam was the main test, which only tested two essays from the Four Books and one poem. The questions were relatively simple, and it was said that the admission was relatively lenient, and those who could write fluently were generally accepted.

However, even so, Yu Zhou was still very serious.

There was a whole day to answer the questions. After reading the questions, Yu Zhou did not answer them immediately on the test paper, but took out the plain paper used for drafting, wrote the answers on the draft paper first, and then copied them onto the test paper after he had answered all the questions and checked them.

When answering questions seriously, time always flies fast. When Yu Zhou came to his senses, the sun was setting. He hurriedly ate something, rested for a while, checked what he wrote on the draft twice, and then carefully copied it onto the test paper.

After copying, it was still early, so Yu Zhou let his mind go blank and didn't care about the test paper he had already answered. Because after the imperial examination, even if you want to change it, you can't cross it out and rewrite it, and there is only one test paper. It's better not to check it, so as not to find imperfections that will affect your mood for the next exam.