Chapter 86

Halloween was over and I was really upset but it's okay because Thanksgiving is next and I get to go home for that holiday. Which means I get to see Carlo again and hopefully he's gotten a new girlfriend because I kinda fucked it up for him last time... Oops?

Today I was taking Calum to the pet adoption center and we were going to adopt a new dog that Carlo was going to keep.

It was going to be his early Christmas present. I only agreed to take Calum because he wanted to be the first one to hold the puppy.

We took a rental car and drove to the nearest adoption center. "Okay promise that you'll behave in here please." I said as I parked the car but didn't get out.

"MacKenzie. Chill, I'm a grown man I'll be fine." He said putting his hand on my shoulder. I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Alright but if you don't, you're not naming him." I said getting out of the car. He picked me up and spun me around thanking me.

I laughed at him as we walked into the barking building.

"Aw they all look so adorable!" I complained as we walked past all the whining puppies. "Are we only allowed to get one?" Calum whined. "I'm sorry Cal, but yes. Oh excuse me ma'am!" I called an employee over.

"Can I help you?" She asked politely. "Do you have any abused puppies?" I asked kind of sadly. "We have a few if you'd like to see them." She smiled leading Calum and I.

We held hands, as best friends, to brace ourselves for the cuteness and sadness. This was the part where that angels song would play. "In the arms of the Angels..." I sang softly and Calum smiled at me.

We walked past all of the puppies and even got to hold and play with a few.

We were at the clinic for at least a good two hours. Being with puppies really calmed my stress and anxiety for a while. It also loosened up Cal.

There was one puppy that I just couldn't resist. It was a little beagle with big, floppy brown ears.

"This is Dumbo. We temporarily named her that because of her big ears. She's a real sweetheart." The woman named Judy told us. "What happened to her?" Cal asked holding Dumbo in his arms. She couldn't have been more than a foot long.

"Well, her mother was hit by a car and passed." Judy said softly kneeling down with us. I covered my mouth and started tearing up.

"Then her owner left her out in the cold for a good few days, starved, before a little boy found her and brought her to us." Judy said as I started crying.

Calum rubbed my back as I held Dumbo close to me. "But, we got her fed, and warmed, and now she's all good." She said petting Dumbo's head.

"I really want this one Calum." I said still hiding the puppy. "We're getting her because I can't resist her." He said petting her and talking to her in a baby voice.

We walked up to the counter with Judy to sign paperwork and get new toys and such for Dumbo. "Are you two a couple?" Judy asked smiling as I played with Dumbo and Calum signed papers.

"Oh us?" I asked dumbfounded. She nodded her head and Calum and I laughed. "No, we're best friends. She likes my best friend and I like hers. It's a little complicated but we don't like each other like that." Calum said as he finished signing the papers.

"Yeah, this is an early Christmas present for my cousin. We get to keep her for a couple weeks and then when I'm living with my cousin she'll be all ours." I said giving Calum a teasing face by sticking my tongue out at him. He laughed and shook his head.

"So what do you want to call her?" I asked him as we got back in the car. "I kind of like Dumbo but I also like Brownie." He said petting the sleeping puppy. "Brownie sounds great." I said driving back to the hotel.

Thankfully we were allowed to bring Brownie in.

"Guys!" I shouted quietly. "We have a new addition to the family." I said bringing Brownie in my arms. She was still sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her.

"I need two of us to watch her and the other three to help Calum get everything from the car." I said setting the bed down then gently putting the puppy in it.

Keeley is allergic to all pets, not deathly because she takes medication, but it could be a problem if she doesn't.

She went down with Calum and Ashton followed her. Michael tagged along with Ash and that left Luke and I to watch Brownie.

"This could be us someday." I said resting my head on his shoulder. "I want to come home to my crazy children being chased by their goofy father. I want to come home to all the pets running up to me because they missed me. I want to come home to a sleeping crazy aunt Keeley and uncle Ashton wrapping her in a blanket. I want to come home to the people I love. I want to come home to a family I love." I said looking him in the eye.

"How many children are you thinking?" He said wrapping an arm around me. "Seven." I said sheepishly and quietly. "Seven?" He yelled. I shushed him and pointed to the puppy and he quieted down as she stirred. "You want seven? That's perfect! Once we start I don't wanna stop! Why stop there? Let's go for eight. What about ten?!" He said excitedly. I laughed as him and gently pushed him.

"I'm serious Luke. I want a big family to replace the small broken one I grew up with." I said. "I know. And maybe, hopefully, one day we'll have that. But let's not think about that right now. I want to wait until marriage." He said. I looked at him and kissed him forcefully. "Nothing better could've came out of your mouth ever." I said kissing him again.