Chapter 99

[Play video for better effect]

We got up on stage and looked around. The back up band started playing Amnesia quietly while we talked. "Hi guys." Cierra said. "We, um, have something to say today." Sophia added on. "This isn't a typical performance, which I know we haven't had one in a long time. But, there is something that we need to tell you." I said looking around.

"For the past four years, we've been lying to you all." "We're not named MK and Jace and Xander." "We just go by those names. As you probably know." "We're gonna let MK take it from here." Sophia said stepping back.

"I moved to Australia when I was thirteen. Every two months I go back to my home town in Pennsylvania where I live with my cousin. My family ditched me at a young age and I was left alone on an entire different continent. My cousin has lived here with her ex fiancé for a while and she showed me to her boss, Liz Hemmings. Oh crap, I'm crying." I said laughing.

"Liz took me in for a while and then I reconnected with these two. Jace and Xander. We formed a group called Artificial Colors and wore masks to protect our identities. We've been lying to you about who we are for the past four years. And, I'm here today to tell you that I'm sorry. But, it's time you know." I said taking a deep breath.

"I see you all standing here wondering what I'm going on about but," I paused slowly taking off my mask. My friends were crying proudly, young girls were screaming, others were booing, adults looked pleased.

"I'm MacKenzie." I said holding my mask in my hand. "I'm Cierra." She said stepping forward. "And I'm Sophia." She said stepping up with us too. "And we are," I started, "Artificial Colors." We finished.

Most of the crowd cheered at us and we smiled. "In honor, this will be our last performance. I'm getting married, Cierra's going back to college, and MacKenzie is a rising star." Sophia said taking our hands. We smiled and hugged.

The band brought Sophia and my stools while they brought Cierra her Cajon box. I held my bass and Cierra got ready to drum.

Sophia was on the keyboard, but we were missing something. "Does anyone want to come up and play this song with us on guitar?" I asked. Luke's hand immediately shot up and I called him up.

The crowd went ludicrous and we smiled. "I'm gonna have to ask the crowd if they can ooh like this." I said singing it to them.

"'Cause you're a sky, 'cause you're a sky full of stars
I'm gonna give you my heart," I looked to the crowd for their reaction.

"'Cause you're a sky, 'cause you're a sky full of stars
'Cause you light up the path

I don't care, go on and tear me apart
I don't care if you do, ooh
'Cause in a sky, 'cause in a sky full of stars
I think I saw you

'Cause you're a sky, 'cause you're a sky full of stars
I wanna die in your," a tear slid down my cheek and I wiped it away quickly.

"Arms 'Cause you get lighter the more it gets dark
I'm gonna give you my heart

I don't care, go on and tear me apart
I don't care if you do, ooh
'Cause in a sky, 'cause in a sky full of stars
I think I see you
I think I see you,"

I narrowed my eyes as I saw something in the crowd. My old best friend Julia from middle school. We used to sing together in chorus.

I wondered what she was doing here. And beside her, my other friend Olivia. I hadn't spoken to them in years. Why are they in Australia? I gave her a confused look as I watched the two.

Olivia handed Julia something black and small. I tilted my head to the side and stared. I noticed they were in the very back behind everyone else.

In seconds, Julia pulled out a gun. She pointed straight at us. My eyes went wide and everything seemed to go a million miles an hour. She must've been the person sending Luke death threats. She must've been the one at the restaurant who tried to kill Keeley!

I saw her hand cock the gun. I wasn't thinking and I jumped to the side.

I was taking a bullet for Luke.

"Luke!" I screamed as she pulled the trigger.

The bullet hit me. My breathing stopped once or twice and I felt off of my stool, my guitar underneath me. The crowd screamed and everyone rushed around.

Some people tried chasing Julia and Olivia, but they ran away. The people who loved me came around as Luke held me.

I was probably going to die right now. The one though rushing through my head was that I had taken a bullet for Luke. He could've died, but instead it was me.

People were screaming things at me but all I heard was a blur of words strung together.

Someone called the police, another called the ambulance. I laid on the floor breathing shallowly. My eyes felt heavy and Luke was putting pressure on my chest.

I'm lucky I moved or else the bullet might've hit me in the head. I would've died on spot.

I felt my chest get hot and sticky. Luke cried onto me making me wet as I gaped for air. My eyes were shutting and Keeley yelled at me to keep them open.

Everyone was rushing around saying things. I thought about everything. Everything that had happened, everything that should have happened.

My legs started to go numb, my fingers and arms as well. I looked up to Luke with all of my last strength. I studied his features and smiled.

"Tell them all I love them more than myself. Call my mom and dad. Tell them I always loved them. And Luke." I took the biggest breath I could. My eyes shut and I felt my entire body power down.

"I love you."