Chapter 12

MacKenzie

After the show, Ainsley came up to me and punched me in the arm. "Well excuse you," I said turning around. "What was that for?" I asked. 

"You knew they would come today and you didn't tell us!" She yelled in my face. 

"Yes and I thought you would be happy. But I guess not. It was a surprise for you guys. I didn't fucking think you would hate me afterwards!" I yelled. 

"We don't hate you, we're just mad you made us look like fools when they came up on stage," Marley said more calmly. 

"I didn't, you guys did that to yourselves just because you're obsessive fangirls doesn't mean I am. At least not on the outside. And! If you wanna make up for your outburst, go over there calmly and ask for the guitars back." I said pointing to them. All four boys were off to the side, so who would care? I just needed to find Augie so we could go home. I was tired of the drama that the girls cause when they're together. Plus, it was already three o'clock in the afternoon.

I went into Liz's store and grabbed my duffle bag with my spare change of clothes in it. As soon as I could get out of my "Luke" clothes, I could give Liz back Luke's Vans. I never wore Vans, they annoyed me and gave me blisters.

I went into the bathroom and changed. I came out and took my mask off. If people don't see where I go when I take my mask off, they don't know that it's me. That's the only exception to me being able to go out without the mask. I changed into ripped up, light denim skinny jeans, a plaid button up top, the same black ray bands, and my green laced, black, blue, and purple Airwalks. I set my mask down and thought I saw Augie talking to Liz. He didn't normally do that when he was around her so I didn't know why he was deciding to do it then. I walked over to them.

"Augie?" I asked with no response. "Augie," I said a bit louder. Still no response. "Augie," I said more sternly tapping his shoulder. He turned around and it was not Augie. My eyes went wide but they weren't visible because of my ray bands. "Sorry, Luke," I said just above a whisper. 

"Hey?" He said questionably.

We just stood there for a few minutes until Liz awkwardly coughed.

I stepped to the side to hand her the Vans praying that Luke wouldn't notice they were his. "Here you go, Liz. Sorry if it was a bother." I said. 

"Don't worry sweety, he doesn't know I took them." She smiled. I laughed. "Thank you." She said. 

"No, thank you," I said. "Without you, I wouldn't have been able to complete my Luke outfit," I said looking at Luke without moving my head, wondering if he caught on by now.

I was just about to leave when he started to say something. "Are those mine?" He asked. 

"Well, it only took you," Liz said looking down at her watch. "Eight minutes." I laughed beating her to it. 

"So you're MacKenzie?" He asked. 

"No she's-" I cut Liz off. 

"Don't worry Liz, I told him." I smiled.

Luke awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "Can we, uh, talk somewhere private?" Luke asked. I was about to say no, but with the look on his face, I couldn't. I couldn't embarrass him in front of his own mother. That would make me ruder than I already am.

"Fine pretty boy, but I have to get my friend and get home so could you make it quick please?" I asked kindly. We walked to the lounge room where there was no one. 

"You did amazing today and yesterday." He said. 

"Why thank you," I said. "You didn't do too bad either," I said smiling. I felt shivers but I ignored it and thought it was just because it was winter. I know it's only June, but do you know the saying Christmas in July? Well, that literally applies down here. 

"I was wondering," Luke said breaking me out of my thoughts. 

"Yeah," I said not letting him finish. 

"Can I have your number?" He asked scratching his neck again.

I grabbed his hand and brought it up to my eye level. I opened my duffle bag with my free hand and dug out a sharpie. I hurriedly closed the bag knowing that Luke got a nice sneak peek into my stuff. I blushed and bit my lip playing with my lip ring. I took his hand and wrote my number on it. I tucked the Sharpie into my back pocket and stood on my tippy toes to whisper in his ear, "I'll be waiting." Then walked off. I whispered to Liz, "Can you make sure you get my guitar back? It's my favorite." She nodded her head and I mouthed a thank you to her then walked out of the store.

I passed the girls and the 5sos boys, well three-quarters of them, anyway. They were taking to Augie. I grabbed Ainsley and Augie by the arms and dragged them away. "Can we-" I cut Ashton off. "Luke has my number!" I yelled walking home.

"Ahh, isn't life the best?" I smiled. "Aww, I just love you guys." I said embracing their necks and smashing their faces into mine.