Chapter Seven

*Jim's POV*

I walked out of advanced hand-to-hand combat, my confidence boosted after coming top of my class during the test we just had.

It was pretty basic, just so the instructors could see where we are at and for a fun activity on the first day. We mostly did one-on-one, but then we briefly did two-on-two and one-on-three matches.

My favourite part was when it was me by myself vs. three in a team, and I won. Man the look on everyone's faces, although they were not the strongest, it was still an advanced class.

I looked up at the sound of laughter, not the happy, amused sound but the cruel, mocking sound.

The three boys I had beaten in class along with two of their friends had the brown eyed boy cornered and appeared to be throwing insults at him.

They had their backs turned to me and I could see a look of utter defeat in the boys eyes, even as his expression remained neutral. He was looking at what appeared to be the leader and hadn't seen me.

I walked up behind two of them and clapped them on their backs. "Is there a problem here boys?" I asked, looking between them with smirk on my face, even as the anger was mounting inside me.

They jumped a bit in surprise and the leader flushed slightly, clearly still stinging from his earlier defeat. "Mind your own business Kirk" he snarled "it would be an uneven fight". The boy looked at me my wide eyes and I clearly read the message in them, get out of here, now.

I ignored him and considered the group, the smirk never leaving my face. The two I had faced in class looked unsure, the two new ones confidant "you know what? Your right. I reckon you grab say.... Two more guys? Then it would be an even fight."

One of the guys snarled and lunged, it only took one hard punch to the head to knock him out.

I ducked a punch from one and kicked another in the stomach, sending him flying into the wall. The same one that had tried to punch me swept a leg out to trip me but I jumped over it, grabbing his head on the way down and slamming it against my knee.

I threw a look to the guy against the wall, who was now also unconscious but this action left me vulnerable to the leader, who grabbed me by the throat and and lifted me up, slamming me against the wall.

I helplessly clawed at his hands and kicked as he held me there, unable to breathe.

I saw the boy, who I had almost forgotten about in the heat of the fight, suddenly and silently dart up behind the guy that had me pinned and jab him at a point between his shoulder and neck, he immediately crumpled to the ground and I fell down next to him, gasping and rubbing my throat.

"Th-thanks" I got out after a second, clambering to my feet.

He just looked at me with a blank expression, although I could see a hint of confusion in his eyes, "Why did you help me?" his voice was deep and sounded slightly uncertain.

"Um, your welcome" I replied wiping my dusty hands on my jeans.

He was frowning and tilted his head slightly to examine me, unblinkingly, arms crossed over his stomach in what appeared to be an involuntary sign of protection.

"Hey, are you alright?" I asked him in concern, noticing some bruising forming on one of his arms for the first time.

He glanced down and shrugged "I'm fine" then his gaze intensified, if that was even possible "thank you, no one has ever helped me before"

"Before?" I asked quizzically, "how long have they been doing this? And who has been doing it?"

He shrugged "I don't remember a time when they didn't, and pretty much everyone" he didn't look overly concerned, but I irrationally felt my anger rising even more, along with an urge to shield him from all danger.

"What did you ever do to them?" I demanded, which drew a pained sort of grimace from him.

"I believe simply my existence annoys them" he laughed bitterly. I shook my head in annoyance "Assholes. I'm Jim by the way, James Tiberius Kirk'

"Spock" he replied after a pause.

"Well Spock" I looked around, realising everyone had gone to class, well, except for the five unconscious guys at our feet "I guess I'll see you around"

His eyebrows rose in surprise "you would be better off staying away from me" he replied, "otherwise they will come after you as well"

I laughed "I can take them" I rose a hand in farewell and moved on to my other class for the day, Basic Tactical Training, my curiosity at this strange Spock character growing.

The last thing I saw was a small smile flickering across the Vulcans face.