Chapter Nineteen

*Jim's POV*

I limped slowly over to the door of the cell, working at the weakened lock in attempt to get it open.

Not surprisingly it was completely useless, and the door stayed firmly shut.

I glanced back at the crumpled heap in the corner that was Spock. I walked over and sat next to him, putting my hand on his side gently and willing him to wake.

He had been gone several hours before they brought him back, apparently uninjured but out cold, and he has been that way for several hours now.

"Come on Spock, I need you" my voice broke slightly as I whispered to him, my words falling on deaf ears.

I lifted a hand up and brushed some of his hair away from his forehead, feeling its silky smoothness and the warmth of his skin.

The action calmed me so I continued to brush his messy hair into place, making it lay flat the way it normally did.

I sighed and got up, moving over to the door again and picking uselessly at the rusty lock.

I wonder if they have people out looking for us, the 7 days must be up by now and they should be conducting a complete search of the planet for any missing cadets.

I took a moment to wonder about how the other cadets were coping, had they been captured too? Or were they just waiting to be picked up somewhere? What went wrong?

Having no more luck with the lock then I did the first couple of times I began devising a plan of escape.

The creatures were undoubtedly fast, and strong, but they didn't appear to be very clever.

For example this lock was semi-broken, yet no one had bothered fixing it. We could escape, assuming we managed to finish destroying it, which doesn't seem likely at this point.

"Dammit" I muttered in frustration, I had nothing. Even if we broke out of the cell, then what? We don't know the layout of this prison, we don't have a way of contacting Starfleet and we are both injured! At least I am, I have no idea what they did to Spock.

I moved back over to Spock and put my hand on his shoulder, shaking it gently.

"Come on Spock, wake up!" I commanded him, hopelessness and despair rising, what if he never woke? Even if I could get out I can't leave him here, nor can I carry him in my current state.

I shook him again with a little more force, desperate for him to wake, or at least move, something, anything to let me know he was alright.

I felt some of the hopelessness and panic fading as two brown eyes suddenly snapped open to observe me.

"Jim" his voice was barely audible and cracked, distress flaring in his beautiful eyes as he looked around the cell.

"Shh" I tried to calm him, gripping his shoulders gently but firmly "it's okay, I've got you, they're not here now"

He relaxed slightly, his expression growing more alert by the second "how do we escape?" he asked, his voice stronger.

"First, are you okay? What did they do to you?" I asked, partly anxious and partly furious, how dare they touch my - okay, let's not go there now.

He frowned at my question, his eyes going out of focus. "I- I do not know" he said softly "I remember a large chamber. Chains. Guards. Doors - some sort of leader I think. I do not remember anything after that."

"You were gone hours" I told him, neither of us acknowledging the fact that I was still holding on to him almost desperately.

"It is possible - assuming that they entered my mind and did damage - that my mind has blocked off the memories while it heals itself to prevent them being 'relived' and affecting my functions until I can get somewhere safe" he speculated thoughtfully.

"Do you feel well enough to move?" I asked, aware that we will only get weaker the longer we stayed here. And I hate being caged.

He nodded and I helped him up, letting go of him with reluctance as we moved to the door of the cell.

"It has not been repaired" Spock looked as if this display of illogical behaviour personally offended him, and I had to fight a ridiculous urge to laugh.

"I don't think they're very smart" I told him, watching as he put a hand out to tug at the lock, his Vulcan strength snapping it after only a second.

My jaw dropped, I had worked at that thing for hours, and along comes Spock and snaps it with ease.

"I don't think their senses are very good either, although I believe they can see much better in the dark then in the light" he commented quietly as I slowly pushed the cell door open.

I looked over to him, grinning nervously "are you ready to get out of this shit hole?"

He raised one of his ever expressive eyebrows in return "Indeed".