Chapter Thirty Four

*Jim's POV*

"You all know why we are gathered here today"

Captain Pikes voice boomed through the speakers positioned all around the open space in front of the academy.

The soft murmur of voices stopped and everyone looked up to where he was standing with some other important people.

"First things first. The death toll was significant. 17 deaths have been confirmed so far and there are several more with life threatening wounds in sick bay. A mass memorial will take place at a later date and smaller, private memorials will be held for individuals"

There was silence as we all bowed our heads in respect of the dead and I felt Spock take half a step closer.

"We are doing all we can to find the person or group responsible, rest assured when we find them they will answer for their crimes. In the meantime, security has been doubled to try and keep everyone safe. All we ask us until this blows over, try to be careful. Your safety is our biggest concern and we don't want to lose any more lives. For anyone whose dorm rooms have been damaged, unfortunately you will have to room with friends until they are fixed. If you can't find anywhere find me and we will sort it out. Repairs are underway and should be completed by the end of the week, after they are finished classes will resume.

Adding to that, you will all be thrilled to know that exams are still taking place in 4 weeks time, so use your time off to study hard"

This was met with groans of disappointment from the students and some of the professors almost cracked smiles.

Almost.

"Yes well, life must go on. I know many of you will have questions, remember you may always ask someone, if we can answer, we will. You are dismissed"

Chatter broke out again and Bones turned to face us. "Coffee?"

Spock and I nodded in agreement and he grabbed his communicator. "Good, I'll text Scotty, Chekov and Sulu to meet us there" he said, already texting.

I looked over to Spock and mouthed You okay? He nodded and I stepped a bit closer, brushing his hand in reassurance.

"Right, they'll meet us there" Bones stated, shoving his communicator away and beginning to walk towards the coffee shop without looking to make sure we were following.

............

"I wonder who did it" Scotty said thoughtfully, resting his chin on his crossed arms.

We had all squeezed around one table, the place was packed but luckily Sulu and Chekov had managed to grab a table before too many people got here.

"Bastard's gonna get what's coming for them" I growled, clenching my fists under the table in anger.

How dare they think they can attack us, hurt us, and get away with it? I will make sure they suffers for what they've done.

Everyone made noises of agreement except for Spock, who just gazed at me in concern.

He pried my fist apart with one of his hands and held it tightly under the table in attempt to comfort me.

I smiled softly to let him know that I appreciated it, but the smile quickly dropped when the others began discussing how much damage was done.

"Yeah our place was killed Jim" Bones told me casually. "Where were you?" I asked suspiciously and he shrugged.

"I was with a friend" he defended. "I stayed with Sulu and Chekov last night, can I keep crashing at your place?" he asked them and they grinned.

"Sure" they agreed and I looked at Spock questioningly. "You are welcome to continue staying with me" he confirmed and I squeezed his hand gently in thanks.

"Mind if we join you?" A hesitant voice asked and we looked up to see Uhura and one of her friends, Gaila, standing at the end of the table.

"Of course lassie, sit down sit down" Scotty encouraged her and we all moved over to allow them room.

"People are talking" Uhura told us as they sat. "They're saying its not a matter of if there is another attack, its a matter of when there's another attack"

"Aye, and I heard talk that this isn't the first, but it's the first that they couldn't cover up" Scotty was always a sucker for gossip, and he leaned towards her to make the information seem even more exciting.

"I vonder vat vhe next attack will be" Chekov said thoughtfully, leaning back in his seat and looking at the ceiling for answers.

"I dunno, I guess we'll have to get you boys to protect us" Gaila leaned forwards and winked at me as she said this.

Spock stiffened beside me and glared at her, almost immediately putting an arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer to him possessively.

MINE, his snarl resonated in my mind and I put one arm around his waist, placing my other hand on his leg soothingly.

Yours. I reassured him and leaned against him, sending Gaila an apologetic smile.

She shrugged it off casually and turned her attention to Bones, who lapped it up shamelessly.

Spock flushed as he registered what he had just done. He let his arm drop but kept it around me, clearly trying to be more discreet about his public display of affection.

I apologise Jim, I do not know what came over me. I smirked at him and he raised an eyebrow, I do - you were so jealous.

He looked like he wanted to protest, but then thought better of it. Maybe a little, he conceded.

I chuckled softly, drawing strange looks from our friends who were unaware of our silent conversation.

Don't worry love, feel free to be affectionate whenever you feel like it, I will never complain.

He flushed again at my words and turned back to the conversation at the table, trying to ignore me with little success.

I smirked again at his reaction and clasped his hand tightly under the table, following his lead and tuning back into the conversation.