Chapter Twenty One

A/N
So, Star Trek Beyond. It was, just wow, holy shit it was epic. Words don't even, okay I'm not gonna continue, enjoy the chapter :)

*Spock's POV*

We spent the next few hours in silence, still unable to make eye contact, the space between us a gaping chasm.

I was internally slapping myself, how could I have let that happen? I mean, sure, I wanted it to happen, but it shouldn't have.

Did you see his reaction? He couldn't get away fast enough. He was disgusted, my mind whispered to me over and over again, relentless and crushing, how could Jim ever want to be my friend again? I lost him with my own stupidity and carelessness, I let this happen.

I finally risked a look just before we left the mountain area, Jim's eyes were fixed firmly on the ground and his jaw was clenched tightly.

But what emotion is he displaying? Anger? That is sure what it looks like.

Or maybe it is pain, I almost forgot about his wound, even though it was serious he walked without complaint, masking his pain almost perfectly.

But I can see through it, it's Jim, my T'hy'la.

My T'hy'la is in pain and I cannot offer him any comfort, especially after- No, it's best not to think about it.

I looked up to see with some surprise that we had reached the edge of the mountains, and found myself recalling something my mother sometime says when she sees how late it has gotten "wow, look Spock, time really does fly" she would say with an amused glint in her eyes. I always found this illogical, how could time possibly fly? Now I believe I know what she meant.

"Wow" Jim breathed, we had finally gotten out of the mountains and the plains were crawling with Starfleet. There were people on the ground, some talking others searching, there were even a few ships flying low - probably scanning.

We made eye contact for the first time since leaving the burrow, although Jim quickly looked away.

He can't even look at you my mind spat venomously as we began our descent. I tried my best to ignore it and focus on the ground to avoid tripping and making a fool of myself.

Again.

We came in sight of some Starfleet members searching and chaos erupted, we were rushed to a large ship where we were both immediately put on biobeds.

Medical personal were running around, scanning us, attaching us to fluids and bandaging small cuts.

I tried to tell then that I was fine, that it was Jim that needed their attention, but they must have sedated me because I couldn't form the words, then I passed out.

.............

I awoke to blinding light.

Doctors and nurses were rushing around, machines were beeping, worry and tension were almost tangible.

"Hurry! He needs blood NOW!"

"Pulse weakening and heart beat decreasing!"

"Okay everybody calm down! You! Start chest compressions! You! Blood, now! We need to close the wound!"

I struggled to sit up but a firm hand pushed me down again "rest, we will be back at earth soon" a soft, female voice came from somewhere on my left.

"Jim" I mumbled, looking around for him, my head pounding and my vision swimming.

I saw people rushing around a biobed, a machine beeping weakly as a heart struggled to keep beating.

"No" I uttered in a strangled whisper as someone moved and I got a glimpse of tousled blonde hair damp with sweat.

My vision got worse and it took all my focus not to pass out again "you - you drugged me" I accused to person next to me.

"No Spock. They did something to your mind that we can't treat, but we believe with time it will heal itself" the voice replied soothingly.

"Jim" I rasped desperately.

There was a slight hesitation "I'm sure he will be fine" but her voice wavered and lost the calm ring.

"Stop.... Lying..... What... What happened to him?"

She sighed "he had already lost a lot of blood, we assume the adrenaline kept him going. You both passed out before we took off, Kirk's wound began haemorrhaging - we don't know why yet but he is in too much pain, which is just making things worse. We are doing the best to keep him alive, but......" she didn't need to finish.

"I might.... Be able to.. Help" my mind was sluggish and streaks of pain shot through it every few seconds but I am pretty sure I can make this work "I need to, be closer, touch him"

"If you think that will work" she soothed as I tried to leave the biobed "stay still, I can move the beds together"

I heard a hushed conversation, then I was being moved and everyone was backing away from the beds to give us some space.

They quickly faded into the background as I focused entirely on the blonde lying next to me.

I felt for his hand and clasped it tightly in mine, our skin tingled pleasantly where it touched and both of us were instantly comforted. Even unconscious Jim's face relaxed.

I opened my mind to his for the first time, pushing my love and strength into him and drawing his pain away and into myself through our T'hy'la bond.

I heard him sigh with relief as his head turned towards me, his breathing evening out and the machine settling down into a strong, steady rhythm as he began sleeping peacefully.

The pain from my mind and the pain from his body was just too much and I bit back a cry, determined not to show weakness to anyone but my T'hy'la.

I gripped Jim's hand tighter, aware this might be the only time I can, and promptly passed out.