Chapter Forty Eight

A/N
Hey, so I've decided to put some pictures of the new characters in ^^^ Lt. Kevin Riley is first :)

*Jim's POV*

"Jim?"

I glanced up from my PADD and froze slightly at the familiar face before relaxing and offering her a smile.

"Carol. I was wondering when I might bump into you."

She looked a little surprised at my pleasantness before she relaxed and let out a laugh.

"You've finally forgiven me than?"

I laughed, finally free of the bitterness that had followed me since we broke up.

"It's in the past. Besides, we never would have worked"

A wistful look crossed her features and she grinned ruefully. "I guess not. I am glad that you're not angry anymore."

I grinned and gestured to the seat opposite me, which she took gratefully.

"Come on, I wasn't that bad. How have you been anyway?"

She laughed again, "You hid it well, but I saw the way you looked at us. It's been..... Different, I guess, since you left. I missed you"

"I missed you too," I realised with quite a bit of surprise that I actually meant it.

"Hey darling,"

I looked up to see another blast from the past, Gary Mitchell, approaching with Spock at his side.

"Hey babe," I teased Gary and he punched my shoulder lightly.

"Go fuck yourself Kirk" he joked as he sat next to Carol, kissing her quickly in greeting.

"Hey Spock" I grinned and moved over for him to sit, and he only hesitated for a second before doing so.

He lowered himself carefully onto the bench and I frowned in concern at his stiff movements.

"You okay?" I muttered under my breath and he nodded, clenching his jaw and looking over at the couple across from us.

"So Jim, long time no see." Gary grinned over at me and I tore my gaze away from Spocks stoic face, grinning back at him.

"Yeah I know, it feels like forever since I last saw you guys. I see you're still going strong?"

Gary nodded and Carol's eyes flickered between me and Spock, lighting up with barely concealed glee.

"I get why you're so happy, you've gotten yourself a boyfriend!" she squealed and Gary's eyebrows hit his hairline.

"Really!?! Who is it? Yes! I have fresh stuff to tease you about!" Gary cackled, getting over his initial surprise and looking at his girlfriend to tell him who I was dating.

"Him! Obviously, geez I almost forgot how clueless you are." Carol gestured towards Spock and rolled her eyes.

"Spock? Huh, I thought you'd be to whore-y for a Vulcan, Jim."

I glared at him. "Why does everyone keep calling me a whore? Kevin did just yesterday!"

"It's because you are one. How do you and Spock know each other anyways?" Carol inquired curiously and Gary frowned.

"Well I was walking along and......." Gary paused and I noticed Spock shaking his head slightly at him out of the corner of my eye. "And I bumped into him. I introduced myself and mentioned I was looking for you and he offered to help."

I gazed at Spock as Gary finished lamely, wondering what he didn't want me knowing, what Gary was covering up for him.

He avoided my look and continued to study Gary and Carol intently, almost as if he was trying to figure them out.