Chapter 8 : Not so Lucky Lina

I stare at Adam surprised that he's so serious, but nod. "Ya, okay," I say following him as he walks to a room labeled with his name.

"You do realize that if he finds out you're here he will go nuts." Adam whispers/yells. "He doesn't know." I say rolling my eyes. "Plus he has a game today, not like he's gonna get the next flight out of LA to come here." I say.

"No, weirdo not Jonathan. Chase." Adam says. "Why would he go nuts?" I ask. "He hasn't seen you in years Alina, he missed you, and fighting cancer and missing someone isn't so easy to go through." Adam says.

"Well then don't tell him I'm here." I say rolling my eyes. Adam sighs staying quiet before widening his eyes. "Too late." Adam says looking outside his window in the door to see Chase in a wheelchair.

"Great." Chase says rolling his eyes. "Don't get sassy with me. I did nothing." I say putting my hands up in surrender.

Adam chuckles and opens the door. "Please just be nice." Adam says. "I am nice Adam. Chase is basically the person who started my career out. I will always love him and treat him with respect." I say walking out the room and towards Chase.

"Well I'll be damned. It's Alina Kane." Chase says. "Now, now remember she got married." Adam says joining us. "That's right. Mrs. Martinez." Chase says smirking. I smile and lean down to hug him.

"Nice to see you Alina." Chase says smiling. "You too." I say pulling out of the hug. "How do you do?" Chase asks. "Good, good and yourself?" I ask pulling up a chair so we can talk. "I could be better honestly," He says smiling.

"Why don't you and your husband come visit me in the hospital?" Chase asks. "My husband is actually in LA going against the Chicago Blackhawks." I say smiling.

"Oh wow." Chase says widening his eyes. "Ya." I say chuckling. "I'll come and visit you anyways. Gotta visit my old man." I say laughing as I play a hand on his shoulder. "Hell ya you do." Chase says smirking.

"You have kids?" Chase asks. "Yes, four and one on the way." I say smiling. "Oh really? Congratulations. What are their names?" Chase asks.

"Well I have Douglas, he's five. Then I have the twins Camila and Grace their three. Then I got Frank, we adopted him he's 14." I say smiling.

"Oh wow you adopted. That boy must be lucky." Chase says. I nod and he smiles. "Wait, Douglas is five?" Chase asks. I nod and Chase raises his eyebrows.

"Douglas is Jonathan's son?" Chase asks. "Yes. Yes he is." I say. "Oh wow, does Jonathan know?" Chase asks. "Yea he does." I say.

"He doesn't want to get to know Douglas?" Chase asks. "Oh he does, but I don't want him to steal the one last thing I have. He took everything from me you know?" I say looking at Chase.

"Oh I know alright. It was going around after you left, but Patrick told everyone it was just a rumor so they'd stop talking about you." Chase says. "Have you spoke to him lately? He's been very down." Chase asks looking up at me.

"I have, but just for a short period of time. I was in a rush you can say." I say. "Don't lose that cousin bond you have Alina. It's special." Chase says grabbing my hand. I smile and he does also.

~*~
The next day I wake up really early to see the results of the game from last night. It was official, LA Kings were going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I smile and imagine Patrick right now. Probably on his way home and not to mention in a very grumpy mood.

I had breakfast set up with Keilani for the morning. I was gonna go pick her up and then we would go to Starbucks and after Starbucks I was gonna go visit my moms grave.

I change into my a white shirt, and white skirt that go perfectly together then match it with some beige heels. I put my hair in a braid and bun making some strands hang out.

Once I'm finished I walk to my car and leave to Patrick's house

When I get there I notice a line of cars outside. I walk in with the extra key Patrick gave me. All the players stand around in the living room watching something.

"Oh your early." Keilani says standing up from the couch. "Oh yes, sorry." I say blushing as everyone turns to me.

"No need to worry. Let me just grab my purse and shoes." She says walking upstairs.

"You weren't at the game last night?" Patrick asks. "No, I'm out here for an award ceremony." I say. "Oh really? For what?" Andrew asks. "I'm nominated for photographer for the year." I say.

"Oh wow, that's huge. Congratulations." Patrick says bringing me into a hug. I nod and stand there awkwardly after he pulls out of the hug.

"Look Alina just because your husbands team eliminated us doesn't mean we don't like you." Corey says laughing. "Speak for yourself." Marián says. "I'm kidding, but your husband played a good game." Marián says smiling.

"Thank you." I say smiling. "The boy checked me right into the glass a few times, but I agree with Marián." Andrew says.

"Okay I'm ready." Keilani says walking downstairs. "Very well. I'll see you guys later?" I ask.

They nod and I smile. "Okay then." I say grabbing my keys out of my purse before walking out the house we Keilani trailing behind me.

We get to Starbucks and the place was empty except for a couple who sit in the corner on their laptops.

Keilani and I get in line and I get my everyday drink: iced caramel macchiato with extra caramel. Once we get our drinks we sit in the opposite corner from the couple.

"How is LA?" Keilani asks as I say, "How is Chicago?" We both chuckle and finally we both decide on who should speak. "LA is fine actually. It's different from Chicago." I say smiling. "Chicago is different without you. It feels like we've lost a soul." Keilani says turning her coffee cup in a circle.

"How is that?" I ask chuckling. "Well to start it off, Patrick hasn't been the same since you've left and Jonathan he hasn't moved on. He's so gloomy now. Nothing makes the boy happy. I don't even the cup would make him happy." Keilani says looking at me.

"What's makes you think he's so gloomy about me? It can just be relationship problems between him and Danise." I say. "Oh no it's not. Trust me. Last week I went to his house to pack somethings because Danise was out of the city and he needed me to go get something from his house. As I went through his closet to find some clothes for the week there was a box. A box filled with pictures of you and him, and other things." Keilani says.

"That can mean anything." I say rolling my eyes. "Like what?" Keilani asks. "Well some people believe that throwing away or burning pictures is bad luck." I say. "Oh come on Alina, he doesn't actually believe in that." Keilani says rolling her eyes.

"Looks like we'll never know." I say smiling. Keilani scoffs and points at herself. "I'll find out myself whether you like it or not."