Groundwork for war

I knocked the door and waited patiently. Hearing whistling approaching the door I wiped my face quickly and looked up as Aaron answered it.

"Ri?" He spoke taking in my blotchy face.

"I went back.. To the shelter." I whispered and then it happened. I burst into tears.

"Oh sweetheart." He replied engulfing me in his arms.

I was guided indoors and sat on the couch as Aaron passed a box of tissues.

"You own a box of tissues?" I asked.

"Man size." He noted.

I laughed and cried at him making him sit beside me and rub my back.

"I'm sorry I'm such a bitch."

"Oh we're going full self pity party huh?" He asked pulling me into him.

Aaron was probably the best person to have in your corner.. For everything. He held onto me rocking us back and forth until I calmed down, now my eyes were sore, my face was red and my nose was blocked but he still said I was beautiful when I complained about the state of me.

"Ria.. Are you tired?" He asked making me stop as a yawn took over.

"N-no." I answered making him chuckle.

"I have a feeling you are. Also you knew it was going to be hard.. You haven't been back to the shelter since."

"I saw Zak... He had a dog like Logan." I sobbed.

"I see." He replied.

"He was hurt Aaron and he was cleaning his cuts! He's an asshole but then he wasn't. Then he was again and this dog was so sad that I wanted to cry for it! I did cry a little and I went outside and Zak found me and wouldn't stop saying things about Logan. And we had an argument and he said.. Do you still want to be my friend? Cause he said you're better off without me?!" He had it all, the rambling, the sobbing and even the wail at the idea of not having Aaron as a friend.

"Let it all out.. Ria I always want to be your friend. You're my best nerd friend you know that! Who else can I have a nerd about with star wars? Also if I didn't care I wouldn't have got you a day of- ah shit."

I stopped my snivelling and looked at him.

"You. You got me a day off?" I asked.

"Kinda.. Maybe?" He replied looking a little worried.

"S-so you rung Stephen?"

"Ye- well no Zak did."

"Zak?! Why is he always involved?!" I asked throwing myself back against the couch.

"I was worried about you when you took off. Okay I'm sorry. I'm sorry for trying to be a good friend to you. Zak had Stephens number and arranged it." He replied.

"You are the best friend! Just... Oh I don't care!" I replied hugging him.

"Phew.. Thought I was gonna have my ass kicked for a minute then." He laughed softly.