My wake up call.

"Hello Ria."

I swallowed hard and blinked before engaging my brain properly. "H-hey Tilly."

"Who is I- what the fuck happened?" Zak asked her making me want to facepalm.

Subtly with a sledgehammer that man.

"It's a long story." She replied.

"C-come in." I stepped aside and moved Zak with me as she came in slowly holding herself.

Zak's eyes met mine and I shook my head. I knew he was silently asking me what happened, but I had no idea myself.

I walked behind her and almost had to help her sit down on the couch as Zak looked between us.

"I'll leave you both alo-"

"No, no. Sit." Tilly answered.

"I- okay." Zak sat beside me and took my hand. Something I was grateful of because right now I was freaking out.

"I got a message... From Aaron. Said you got hurt one night?" She asked.

"I'm on the mend now. It's only bruis- Tilly sweetheart what happened?" I asked.

My friend was every colour apart from her skin tone. She looked like hell and her once blonde hair that reflected the sun looked dirty and limp.

"I have left... Joey's."

I felt Zak's hand tighten on mine, I was tempted to bite my other hand to even out the pressure.

"I- I was jumped. Leaving work.. They took everything. I uh.. I had to checked because they didn't know if I was sexually assaulted."

"Owh." I whispered as Zak's hand went tighter on mine. He eased up slightly letting me move my fingers.

"There was some men.. My drink. It was spiked. I should have known but low self esteem from leaving him. (She meant her ex who we shall not name.. Bit like Voldemort... Shit) they were nice.. You know? I left work feeling a bit woozy, and the next thing you know I have the city workers who empty the bins putting their coats over me and holding my head telling me to remain calm and still."

This time it was me that tightened my grip on Zak's hand as tears pricked my eyes.

"The eye patch?" She lifted it up making me hold back a gasp.

"I got bottled.. I'm lucky I'm not blind but they have had to cut my eye.. My
Iris will always be different then the other. I had glass sticking out of my eye."

I covered my mouth and looked down blinking a few times.

Don't cry. Do not cry. Don't you dare.

"Three broken ribs, a busted nose, a shattered wrist and spinal bruising. Not to mention all the other bruising. And that's what happens..."

"Tilly I'm so sor-"

"Don't say sorry. Don't. I was covering your shift and you know what I thought when I was laid up in hospital?"

I shook my head.

"At least it was me. Because I needed this for me to realise I needed to change. What are we even doing Maria? Joey's is an amazing place to work but it's not a career is it? There's a big world out there and Aaron said that you didn't want to leave. Well I'm telling you. You have to. Because this is the shit that waits for you.. Ria I have seen you put grown men on their asses. Throw two men out, get in between fights and even get involved in them when one of the girls get hurt. You have no cut off point.. We all love you for it but I'm now scared for you."