Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

We collected items that we needed to take back to the lodge and made a slow steady walk back to the cars.

As we walked along, the sea caught my eye causing me to stop and look out at it. I love the ocean... It always made me feel calm and relaxed.

Humans are often described as air, sea or land creatures.. I had to be the sea.

When something happened in your life.. Somethings of grave importance it makes you take a step back and appreciate the smaller things.

Before I'd take a look at the beach and carry on but today... Today was different. I never had the chance to take in the beauty of it all. The pure blueness of the cloudless sky. The gulls circled vulturing for scraps of food left behind or left unattended for a few moments too long.

The giggling of children and a few squeals of joy as they ran across the sand leaving small footprints, each with pale skin from the layers of sunblock that their parents had lathered them in. The small castles with shells as Windows and how each flag stood proud atop of them.

The soothing sound of the sea, like gentle music to welcome people as it lapped the shore licking at the smaller children's feet.. That's where the squeals came from.

How the ocean air whipped at the wind blocks causing them to shake and ripple.

Everything... Everything was so beautiful.

------------------------------

Zak POV..

I looked up from my phone occasionally and stopped all together seeing Maria gripped to the white rails separating the sand from the concrete. Her knuckles were white, her chest heaved and tears collected on her lower lashes.

"Ma-"

"Ri! Check this out!" Aaron called startling her and unknowingly interrupting me from speaking to her.

She turned with a smile but it didn't look real, it didn't look even an ounce right upon her face. She wiped her eyes making Aaron stop and his brows furrow together.

"Ria?"

"Oh it's the wind." She waved and smiled.

He accepted it but I couldn't, it was like a block of Swiss cheese.. I could see straight through her.

From where I was stood previous I expected her to burst into tears but nothing came of it and Maria simply fell into line behind Aaron.

I frowned hard and went back to my phone. It shouldn't concern me.. Like she said, it was none of my business. But I'm not completely cold hearted, despite what she may think.. I could sense she was upset. Even if nobody had noticed.

"Hey lets get ice cream!" Aaron grinned running over to the stall.

"Oh this strawberry and cream is the business!" Aaron moaned devouring it.

I had cookies and cream, it was pretty good. It beat any ice cream from a tub that was for sure.

I watched a little boy with blonde hair drop his and instantly prepared myself for a scream. But brunette hair took my view and the boy was beaming when it disappeared.

Maria had gave her ice cream to the little boy who's parents thanked her tremendously.

"Hey, enjoy it and watch those seagulls. They like cookie and cream." Maria spoke to the little boy making him laugh and hold it tightly.

I watched her walk away and wave back at the little boy who shouted thank you at the top of his lungs.

Huh? Guess she doesn't have an ice heart like I presumed.

We made one more stop at a groceries store, like a bunch of children we all went our own ways as soon as we got inside.

I picked up some O'Doulls as well as some bottled water. I passed the alcohol not taking a second look at the shelves. I spotted Maria picking up bottles and walking away.

I followed behind and sure enough she went to the till, keeping my distance I watched her shove it in her bag and hand over the money quickly before heading outside.

I frowned and paid for mine returning to the car like we had all agreed.

One by one we all returned.

"Didn't you get anything Ri?" Aaron asked as we loaded up the trunk.

"No, I didn't really want anything." She shrugged and got in the back.

Why was she hiding the fact she had alcohol?

I looked at Aaron chatted away to Bacon happily non the wiser.

If she was sick.. She shouldn't be drinking.. Right?

I got in the front and used the visor to block the afternoon Suns glare. I looked up to see Maria looking at me, as soon as I stopped to look at her she looked away fast.

What was she up to?