18. Fever

RECAP:

Her expression turned serious. "That's not any kind of demon he's talking about," She exhaled. "Yukio said you've supposedly 'met' him before. The demon that caused that dream is called Akem Manah. And like I said, that's not any kind of demon," She pounded her bottle on the table. "He's one of The Four Sins. All of which include: Akem Manah, Bael, Duke Eligos... And Satan himself."
The name Satan hung in the air like cigarette smoke.

_________________________________

But why me—why now? Is it because of the academy?
    Why them? I don't want to hurt my friends. Just thinking about it makes me sad.
    I stayed silent and stunned in the chair I was in. My E/C eyes stared off into space, thinking of unreal possibilities.
    "Y/N... Are you okay? You don't look too good." Konekomaru commented. I could see everyone's faces filled with concern.

My face started to burn up as if I had a fever, and I felt dizzy.
    "I–I'm fine, really..." I stood up from my seat to go upstairs, but tripped over my own feet and landed face-first on the ground.

Shiemi and Shima rushed over to me to help me up. "Y/N, you really need to get some rest. Come on–"

My eyes widened at the suggestion of rest.
    "No, no, no—I'm not going back to sleep. I don't want to have that dream again!" I pushed them away coldly, in fear that the nightmare I had might repeat itself in my sleep.
    "Do you need me to vaccinate you,
Y/N? Just get some rest, sheesh." Shura let out an annoyed huff.
    "Please... Just... I can't go back to sleep. I can't do it." I begged with fear in my tone.
    Shiemi and Shima shot each other a look.
    "Well... Okay. But at least let us treat you." Shima walked up to me and put the back of his hand on my forehead. Immediately, he pulled his hand away.
    "My god, Y/N. You're burning up like crazy...!" He said with surprise, shaking his hand as if he just got burned by fire.
    "I..." I began wryly, wobbling over my feet. "I just feel... Feel so... Hot..." I said as I drearily tried to lift my shirt up to take it off, but Shiemi quickly pulled it down.
    "Goodness, you're acting like you're drunk, Y/N! Let's go change into something else, okay?" Shiemi suggested as she lead me up to her bed room and helped me undress.
    I eventually put a F/C top on and tucked it in into loose, plaid shorts.
     After that, she got the thermometer and took my temperature.
    "Oh my god! What the..."
    "What...? What's wrong?" I asked drowsily, tugging on her shirt.
    She showed me the thermometer.
    "Y/N, you're at 119 degrees!" She exclaimed worriedly.
    I squinted to see if she was right. "Huh... I ..." I started to loose my balance and breath heavily.
    I feel like my skin is on fire, and my heart just burst into ashes.
    I sank down and gripped my shirt tightly to ease the pain, but it didn't help. I then groaned loudly in pain as I heard sprinting up the stairs.
    The door burst open with a bunch of worried classmates standing in the doorway. "That's it—we're putting you in bed." Bon said as he and Izumo walked over and propped my up with my arms around their shoulders, dragging me to Yukio and Rin's room.
They placed me on Rin's bed and felt my forehead. Shiemi came in while she called Yukio and paced around the room. The whole class was in the room and they shut the door behind them. They whispered to each other in worry and distress.
    Apparently, Yukio had picked up.   
    "Yukio!" Shiemi gasped, quickly telling him what was happening with no time for him to spare. "I know, I'm sorry, but it's an emergency," She began. "It's Y/N. We don't really know what's happening but she has some kind of fever," She paused as I heard a muffled voice in the background. "No, I'm not joking! It feels like her skin is on fire and she's in pain!"
    Everyone stayed silent as they heard him reply. "Okay, but be quick." She whispered something in the phone, but I couldn't make it out. The girl then hung up and sighed.
    "What'd he say?" Bon questioned, folding his arms.
    "He'll be here soon. We need to keep an eye on her." She explained, sounding rushed.
   Shura then realized something.
    "Hey... Where's–"
    Before Shura could finish her sentence, the bedroom door opened, revealing an exhausted and stressed looking Rin.
    "I..." Rin breathed heavily, hands on his knees. "Looked. Everywhere." He panted. "The clown is literally nowhere to be found."
    Izumo scoffed. "Can't you see that we have a bigger problem?" She pointed to me sitting on the edge of the bed.
    He glanced at me, seeing me look tired and drained.
    "Hey, hey, hey..." Rin said softly as he ran over to me, and kneeling down next to the bed. He took my hand and held it gently. "What happened? Are you okay?"
    "I... I guess you could say that," I said with an exhausted, reassuring smile.
    Rin smiled at me in return, stroking my hair only once before his facade  faded, and he stood up, looking angry.
    "Where the hell is Yukio? Why isn't he here right now?" Rin asked in a furious tone, his hand slipping out of mine.
    "He said that he's on his way." Shiemi informed.
    Rin turned to me, then held his hand up to my forehead.
    "Y/N..." He muttered, "you feel like fire..." The boy pulled away quickly, now knowing how serious everything was right now.
    Shiemi sauntered over to me and took the thermometer out of my mouth.
    "Let me see something," She began as she held it under my tongue. While she waited for results, she commented, "Rin's right. You too warm..."
    We waited impatiently for a few more seconds until she heard a beep!
    Her eyes widened in worry at the numbers.
    "What's wrong?" Konekomaru questioned, putting a hand on her shoulder.
    "Her temperature... It's going up." She showed the results to the class.
    They nudged each other to with whispers to look, a few gasping in surprise.
    "The hell...?" Bon snatched the thermometer out of her hands, squinting to make sure that the numbers were real.
    "I have a feeling that this isn't just any fever," Rin began. "It's a side effect."
    The whole class paused, as if they thought it over for a moment.
    "Of what, exactly?" Shima asked curiously.
    Rin sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "We didn't tell you guys, but the poison on Y/N is turning her into a demon."
     Having frightful eyes look at me wasn't something I was used to. It made me feel excluded physically—not sharing a common emotion.
    Shiemi twiddled  her index fingers. "Though, I don't get it... Yukio used vaccine to make it slow down as much as possible until he could figure out a cure."
    The room fell dead silent until Izumo decided to speak up as well.
    "But... If it was slowed down so much, why is she turning into a demon now?"
    Rin knelt down next to me and looked deep into my eyes. "I don't know...That's the question," He began. "You took the vaccine, which means you wouldn't turns into one until exactly ten weeks from now..."
    Suddenly, to all of our surprise, Rin was interrupted by a familiar voice from the doorway.
    "It was tampered with."
    Everyone's head shot over to the source of the voice, and sure enough, Yukio held up a tiny capsule of the vaccine.
    His expression was full of anger and exasperation, but his eyes told a different story—and we all knew it had to do with me.