Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

-6 Years Prior-

Andy's Point of View:

"If you don't want me to publish this, I won't," Jack said as he sat opposite me at the table in the café, his report sitting in the middle of the table between the two of us. "It's completely your decision; Ashley and Matt are ok with me publishing their parts, but if you don't want me to include the study on you, I'll just take it out and reword a couple things in my introduction and conclusion."

I looked up at him from where I was on the opposite side of the table, trying to make up my mind on what to do; he'd spent weeks on this report and now here he was, saying that it was my decision on whether or not to include my part.

"Did you get good marks for it?" I asked, making Jack frown temporarily.

"Um, yeah; that's why I was asked if they could publish this for part of the school's psychology unit," he said in response, sounding a bit confused as someone came over to the table; it was just Brian with Jack's order.

Brian gave us both a tired smile, Jack smiling back as I attempted one; I knew how he felt today, apart from the fact that Brian was probably tired due to lack of sleep; I was tired due to other things.

Brian looked to me, looking like he'd tried to cover up the tiredness by putting on a bit of extra eyeliner today.

"Y'sure I can't getcha anything Andy?" he asked, looking like he could go for another few hours of sleep.

"I'm sure; thanks," I responded, trying that smile again.

Brian gave a nod, clearly not really in the thinking mood today.

"Alright; just call if you guys need something and I'll come walking. I won't come running because I'm too tired and managed to fuck myself up at the gym with Matt yesterday," he said tiredly. He turned to head back to the counter where people were waiting, but he paused, turning back to face us. "By the way, Matt wann'ed to apologise for whatever he said earlier on this week; I don't fucking know. Just know he's sorry and that he doesn't always mean what he's saying. That boy doesn't think very often, so whatever he said, don't take it to heart."

I gave a nod, wondering why he had to apologise to me and why Matt hadn't come up to me and personally apologised to my face. He turned to head back to the counter, as no-one had shown up to serve the customers yet and the line was getting longer; it looked like Brian was the only one working today.

"Oh also," Brian said, turning back to face me and Jack; he looked really done with the day and it wasn't even midday yet. "Before you leave, I've gotta have a quick chat with you; so before you take off, come find me. I'll most likely be behind the counter or rushing around and fucking myself up more because no-one fucking works today and I'm far from the mood to deal with all this bullshit. So yes, come find me."

Without another word and before he could remember he had to say anything else, he headed back over to the counter, looking rather unamused as he began taking orders again.

"He seems to be having a tough day," Jack said, looking over his shoulder at Brian who looked like he could just snap at someone at any moment. Jack looked back to me. "So, whatcha wanna do? If you don't want me publishing your section, I won't."

I sighed, leaning my head on my hand as I stared at the report in front of the two of us; I could see the slight hope on Jack's face; the hope that I would say he could include my part.

"Just do it," I said eventually. "Just publish it; who the fuck cares. I'm gonna be done soon enough so it's not like it's gonna matter if my life story gets put into the school's psychology unit. Just go ahead and include it."