Chapter 25

Chapter 25:

"He said he doesn't have anywhere else to go which is why he came here. We didn't know what to do apart from call you guys to help out."

The police officer gave a nod, writing something down; I glanced over into the living room, seeing another police officer talking to Corey, Juliet with them, Corey's sister Stef in there as well, sitting on the sofa next to him.

"What's your relationship with him?" the officer asked, making me look back to him.

"I work as the school counsellor where he goes," I said, the officer nodding and writing it down. "I've been seeing him twice a week for two weeks currently."

The officer nodded again, writing something else down and not saying anything. I glanced over into the living room again, Juliet glancing over and catching my gaze. She looked at me sadly, me just returning the look.

"Alright, well we're going to send some people around to his house and have a chat with his parents to see what's going on," the officer said, making me look back to him. "Would you be able to have him stay here overnight and we'll be back tomorrow with this sorted out."

I gave a nod, the officer nodding back; satisfied with my answer. He headed over into the living room, Juliet coming over to where I was. She stopped close in front of me, glancing over her shoulder before looking to me.

"He's gonna stay here tonight; said they'd be back tomorrow with it sorted out," I said, my voice down and making her nod. "Hopefully it gets sorted out; Corey shouldn't be afraid to go home."

Juliet nodded in agreement. "I'll set the spare room up for him."

I gave a nod, Juliet smiling at me sadly and heading down to the spare room which was opposite our bedroom. I went into the living room, the officers discussing something over near the front door. Corey didn't look up as I came in; he was still hugging Crow who was sleeping happily. Stef looked to me though.

"Thank you Ashley," she said, making me nod as I crossed my arms across my chest. "Thank you."

"Gotta look out for everyone."

***

"What're we gonna do if they can't sort this out?" Juliet asked as I shut the door to the bedroom; it was after midnight.

"They'll sort it out; it's what they do," I said in response, coming over and getting into bed next to her, the look on Juliet's face showing that she was worried. I sighed. "Juliet, it's gonna be fine; the cops'll sort it out."

"It's just that he can't stay here forever," she said as I turned the lamp on my side off, lying down. "He seems like a good kid and everything..."

I sighed again, looking to her.

"They'll sort it out," I reassured, Juliet shrugging as she patted Femme who was curled up on the bed with her; Crow had made himself comfortable in the spare room with Corey for the night. "Like I said, it's what they do and it's part of their jobs to deal with this kinda thing. By Monday everything will be fine; I promise."

Juliet gave a nod, not having anything else to say. She switched the lamp on her side off, lying down without a word. She was clearly worried about what was going to happen with Corey and I didn't blame her but it would all be sorted out soon.

Hopefully.

***

"You gonna get up today?"

I looked over at where Juliet was sitting at the desk, my laptop still on. I must have forgotten to turn it off overnight due to everything that had been going on.