Chapter 29

Chapter 29:

-6 Years Prior-

Andy's Point of View:

Brian looked up as I came to a stop at the counter.

"You heading out?" he asked, scribbling something down on the piece of paper in front of him before carelessly pushing it aside.

There wasn't anyone around at the moment and Jack had gone home a few minutes ago; it was a bit quiet apart from the music that was playing on low volume and I was sure Brian had put it on not that long ago.

I gave a nod.

"Was about to but you said you wann'ed to have a bit of a chat with me before I took off for the day," I said, Brian giving a nod of confirmation. "What'd you wanna talk to me about?"

Brian indicated for me to hold up for a second and I watched as he disappeared out the back of the café. I could see as he rummaged through his bag, grabbing a folded piece of paper out before he came back over.

"Matt wann'ed me to give you this," he said, holding the paper out to me, a frown appearing on my face. "I haven't looked at it because he asked me not to and I'm civilised enough to not pry into things that aren't my business. I don't know what's written and I personally have no interest or reason to know, so please, take it because he intended it for you to read; no-one else."

The frown remained on my face as Brian indicated to the piece of paper, asking me to take it from him. I reluctantly did, getting a nod in return from him.

"Thank you."

Brian gave another nod, watching as I put the piece of paper into my pocket; I'd read it when I left, as I didn't particularly wish to read what Matt had written for me in the middle of the café. It was clearly something he wanted only me to see, as otherwise he wouldn't've asked Brian not to look at it. Brian was very loyal.

I turned to head out, planning on finding something to occupy myself with for a few hours.

"Andy," Brian called as I reached the door, forcing me to stop and look back at him; he was looking at me sadly. "You take care of yourself, ok?"

I gave a bit of a nod, Brian hesitantly nodding back. "I will."

"Good," Brian said back with a brief nod. He gave me a sad smile. "I'll be seeing you around Andy."

"Goodbye Brian."

"Goodbye Andy."

Without another word I headed out of the café, the door swinging shut after me. I sighed; it was getting late but it was nice to be out for once. I moved aside as a couple went into the café, a few more people passing by without any concern and not even noticing I was there; I recognised them from school but they clearly didn't know me. Either that or they didn't see me or care.

I took the piece of paper out of my pocket, wondering what was so important that Matt had to write it down instead of talking to me face-to-face. This was the second thing today that Brian had had to tell me, or in this case give me, on behalf of Matt.

Sometimes I truly didn't understand that kid.

I looked around, making sure there wasn't anyone lurking nearby that might have been able to read over my shoulder before I hesitantly unfolded the piece of paper, leaning back against the wall of the café to make sure no-one would be able to come up behind me and see what was written.

I could never be too careful.

Matt had more or less legible hand writing; at least I could read what he'd written but it was nowhere near as easy as it could have been. It looked like he'd had a lot to say on the one piece of paper, so he'd rushed it so he didn't forget it.