Chapter 44

Chapter 44:

"Look Corey, I don't know what you want me to do," I said, watching as he reluctantly got some of his work out to do. "This' outta my power, so you're just gonna have to deal with it because this kinda shit happens in life and I'm sorry."

Corey looked at me sadly as the door to my office was pushed open slightly, someone looking in; it was Zacky today and I found myself frowning.

"Just wish there was something you could do because I don't wanna go to New York," Corey said as Zacky waited at the door, waiting to be invited in; this was the first I'd seen of him since everyone had been back in town. "I don't wanna miss the concert on Tuesday."

"I'm sure you can figure something out; you won't be leaving straight away, alright?" I tried, Corey shrugging. I looked to Zacky. "Hey man; sorry, c'mon in."

He did as asked, coming in and indicating to the door.

"Want it open or closed?"

"Oh, ah shut would be fine."

He gave a nod, shutting the door before coming over and stopping next to my desk. Corey stopped what he was doing as Zacky awkwardly stood there with his hands in his pockets.

"What can I do for you? Everyone seems to be stopping by lately," I said, Zacky giving a shrug.

"I was actually hoping you'd be able to tell me that you know where Matt is," he said, looking at me and making me frown. "He's kinda fallen off the grid."

"Really?" I said, making him nod. "Have you asked Brian or Valary?"

He nodded again.

"Val said he was home last night but wasn't around this morning and she doesn't know where he's gone," he said. "Brian said he doesn't know where he went; apparently you saw him on Wednesday and it's now Friday and I haven't heard anything from him so I was hoping you'd be able to tell me something."

I shook my head, seeing his expression sadden a bit.

"No idea; sorry," I said, Zacky giving a vague nod as he looked down at the floor. "I won't see him until probably Monday because we kinda left on bad terms on Wednesday; he's probably still mad at me."

Zacky frowned, looking at me. "Why's that?"

I sighed.

"I uh, kinda tried to push him into telling me something he didn't wanna talk about," I said. "About what happened when he left six years ago."

"Oh..." Zacky said; looked like he knew as well. He was one of Matt's closest friends. "So I'll take it he didn't actually tell you then."

I shook my head, Zacky giving a slight nod as he thought.

"I assume you're not about to tell me either; you sworn to secrecy like Brian is?"

Zacky gave a nod, confirming what I'd just said.

"Sorry Ashley; nothing I can say," he said. "But I will tell you that he didn't have the best time after he left; just because he left doesn't mean that everything went ok with him. I can't really say anything more..."

"It's all good; I get it," I said. "But anyway, I won't see him or hear from him until Monday, so I guess you have to keep looking for him. He'll show up; he's never gone for long."

"True, but I need to talk to him about a couple things and he's not picking up his phone," Zacky said. "But anyway, guess I should leave you to it; sorry if I've interrupted something. Just hoped you'd know where he was."