Chapter 19

I gently bounced the ball on the court, as I lazily looked up at the hoop. I let out a deep breath before I relaxed into my stance and started bouncing the ball between my legs, before I started the rest of my training, before I ran and slammed the ball in. I landed on my feet lightly, and glanced at my hand. I groaned, and threw it down, before walking over to my bag. I dug through it, before pulling out my phone. I unlocked my phone and scrolled through my list of contacts before finding Devon's name. I clicked it and pressed my phone to my ear. 

"Did you break the hoop again?" he asked once he answered. 

"Yes. I was going through my training, and I put too much power behind my dunk." I said and he laughed. 

"Alright. I'll be there in ten with a new hoop." 

"Same price as last time?" I asked him. 

"You know it. I'll take your famous chocolate cake this time." he said and I laughed. 

"Alright. I'll see you in a few." I said before he hung up. I spent the next ten minutes just randomly bouncing the ball. 

"Alright. Let's get this hoop fixed!" Devon said and I sat the ball on top of my bag. I then walked to the broken hoop and jumped. I held onto the metal and then swung my leg over and pulled myself up, before we both got to work. 

"Alright. That should do it!" Devon said about an hour later. 

"You wanna test it?" I asked him. 

"Sure." He said and I carefully jumped down, before backing away. A moment later, I heard him bouncing the ball, before he ran. I watched him jump before dunking the ball. He held on for a moment, before letting go. 

"Yep. It's good." he said as the rim staying. 

"Thank you again, for helping me everytime that happens." I said and he chuckled. 

"It's fine. I find it adorable. Also, it's not like you try to do it. You just either happen to be focusing so much on one thing and it happens or you overthink and it happens. So which one was it this time?" He asked and I sighed. 

"Both. I was thinking about Taiga. He messed up his legs in a game, from pushing past his jumping ability. Not only can he not play for two weeks, his grades are horrible and he's got some exams coming up." I said. 

"I'm surprised you're not worried about Tatsuya's grades." 

"Are you kidding me? His grades are fine. Taiga's head is just filled with basketball, and when he's going to eat next." I said. 

"And yet you fell in love with him." Devon teased me, making my face explode. 

"Shut up!" I yelled making him laugh. 

"I mean. Everyone but him knows. Well. Not everyone." he said and I sighed. 

"Are you going to tell him the next time you see him?" he asked and I nodded. 

"I made a promise to myself, after I pulled myself out of my slump that I would. I haven't broken a promise yet, and I don't want to. Granted, I am down right scared but if mom was still alive she would tell me that it wouldn't be healthy to keep it from him." I said and he sat a hand on my head. 

"I'm sure when you tell him, it will be just fine." He said and I sent him a nervous smile. We talked for a little bit longer, as he walked me home. 

"I'll be making your cake Tuesday, and I'll have it to you by Wednesday." I said and he nodded. 

"Okay. Take care, Yukiko." he said before he gave me a hug. I returned the hug before he pulled away. 

"See you later, shorty!" he said.