names part 3

Robin grunted as he was thrown onto the sparring mat, his head still whirling from having been pulled along in super speed. He shook his head and then sat up, only to meet fiery blue eyes that smoldered with an anger he had never seen before. Still, Robin scowled. “What’s your problem?”

“That’s what I want to ask you, Dick.” Kid Flash said through gritted teeth. “What’s going on between you and Jinx?”

Oh god, not this again. Robin was truly regretting starting the whole ‘sweet endearment’ fiasco to piss Jinx off. It was way more trouble than it was worth. “For the last time, nothing’s going on. Why would anyone even-.”

“Because for the past few days, you’ve been calling her things like ‘sweetie’ and ‘honey’! Stuff you would never say to even Starfire, much less Jinx!” Kid Flash blew up. When he had first heard the rumors, he had brushed it away with a laugh. His Jinx flirting with someone else? Get real. She was more likely to hex them if they walked against her too close. But then he had personally witnessed it for himself later, how Robin would call her those sweet nicknames and she’d yell at him, her face red... from anger or embarrassment, he couldn’t be sure...

Robin yelled out, throwing his hands up in the air. “It was to piss her off! Wasn’t that obvious?”

“...what?”

“Jinx and I hate each other. It’s a given! Everyone knows that even though we’re on the same side now, we don’t get along. So how do you think someone like her would react when I call her by those names? They probably sound shitty coming from me since she hates me! And since I hate her, of course I’d call her by those names! Her suffering is my joy! But apparently I miscalculated since the moment I started this stupid idea, I’ve been constantly getting hounded by people asking if there’s something going on between us and now even you’re accusing me of-of I don’t know and I don’t want to know!” he yelled, breathing hard by the time he was done. Whew, it felt good letting it all out of his chest.

“So you... and her... there’s really nothing going on?” Kid Flash asked weakly.

“Yes, there is nothing. There never was and there never will be!” Robin shouted in frustration.

Kid Flash actually fell backwards onto the ground in relief. Jinx wasn’t going out with Robin. They weren’t flirting and being all lovey-dovey together behind his back. Shit, he was always away in Central, but he had never really considered about the possibility of Jinx finding another guy to like. After all, he was Kid Flash, fastest boy alive! He was good looking and had all the brilliant charms! Who else could she fall for?

...but Jinx was really pretty too. He had become too comfortable with the fact that she didn’t like other people –not to mention, didn’t have many friends since switching sides- and would keep to herself more often than be with others. But... But what if she found someone who became close to her and that person realized just how cute and adorable Jinx could be? Kid Flash wasn’t stupid. Everyone thought that Jinx was cold-hearted and mean, but if they knew the truth about her real self... and then there was how Jinx had been pretty cold and snippy with him lately.

...oh shit.

“KF, you okay?” Robin asked in concern over how his normally talkative and hyperactive friend had stopped moving. Heck, it looked like he had even stopped breathing!

“Robin, what do I do?” Kid Flash yelled, zooming up and grabbing Robin by the shoulder. “I think I’m going to lose Jinx at this rate!”

Robin arched an eyebrow. “You finally took your head out of your ass to notice that?”

“What do you mean?” the red head asked, bemused.

“Well,” Robin drawled, looking away as though that would soothe the sting of the words he was going to say. “You haven’t exactly been the most ideal of boyfriends.”

“What? I’ve been a perfect gentleman! And how would you know that? How many dates have you gone on, Mr. I’m-Married-To-Work?” Kid Flash squawked in a panic and Robin rolled his eyes.

“I think I know enough to say that you’re a complete idiot.” He said. “That and I often hear the girls talking about it.”

“The girls actually say that too?” Kid Flash said in disbelief. But he was Kid Flash! One of the hottest teen superheroes around! “What do they say? C’mon, don’t keep a guy hanging!”

“Get off of me,” Robin shoved Kid Flash away when the alarmed speedster began to shake him at hyper-speed “And they always talk about how you compliment every girl you meet.”

“Well duh, how could I not say nice things to a pretty girl when I see one?”

“And how do you think Jinx feels about that?” Robin said in exasperation. “You two are supposedly going out with each other-.”

“We are not supposedly going out! We are going out!” Kid Flash said hotly.

“-and yet, the boyfriend of the equation is still going around talking to girls as though he’s still looking for a girlfriend.” Robin continued to deadpan. “It gives the impression that you don’t really see Jinx as a girlfriend, but something sleazy like a one-sided friend with benefits. But here you are, running around like a crazy lunatic the moment stupid baseless rumors spread out that she’s flirting with someone.”

“B-But I’m just telling it as it is,” Kid Flash protested weakly. “They’re attractive, so what’s wrong with telling them that?”

“Oh really?” Robin challenged, wondering where his life had gone that he was now playing relationship counselor with Kid Flash. And it was also to help his hateful frenemy, Jinx. “Then you find nothing wrong with the idea of Jinx going up to Bushido with a suggestive smile saying he’s ‘looking good’ as you told Wondergirl once or her waltzing up to Aqualad saying ‘can’t a girl stop and chat with a good-looking guy for a second’ as, if I recall correctly, you did with Raven?”

Kid Flash fell silent.

“Not a pretty good feeling, is it?”

“...No. Not a good feeling at all.” The red head groaned as he sprawled on the sparring mats. “What am I going to do, Dick? I tried talking to Jinx earlier and she just blew me off... and I don’t think I exactly earned any brownie points by hounding her about if she was flirting with you or not.”

“Eh, knowing Jinx, she probably tried confronting you directly about your little habit and knowing you, you probably just brushed her off. And since I haven’t heard her screaming at you for a while, that means she’s not even paying attention to you flirting with girls anymore.” Robin said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly at how he was now the bearer of bad news. “Sorry to say this Wally, but if Jinx wants to end things with you, I’m not sure how you can fix that.”

Kid Flash answered with a miserable groan.