Over the edge (+18)

For the first time ever, Jinx found herself with free time on her hands. She was shocked to learn she had no clue what to do with it. Now that they were completely moved into his apartment in Star City, she had decided to give crime fighting (as well as crime) a break. The problem was, what to do now?

When she was little, most of her time was spent trying to hide her powers. Then, once it became too hard to hide them, she was busy trying to control them. Soon after that was when she had been recruited by Hive Academy; it was the bidding of Slade, then later Brother Blood, that took up most of her time. Once she was free of them, though, she spent her time using her power and will to control others, the Hive Five mostly, the Teen Titans once or twice, even Kid Flash at first, but she quickly learned he was about as controllable as an atomic particle. Or a puppy.

He always seemed to know what to do with his free time, so she went to him with her problem. "I'm bored," she'd said to him one day.

Being as fast as he was, free time was something he had a lot of. Of course, he didn't taker her seriously right off the bat. "You're bored?" he'd parroted, that roguish grin appearing on his face. "I know a great way to pass the time."

Not entirely keen to conversational tropes, she'd responded with a genuinely interested, "What's that?" He then proceeded to show her exactly what he meant, indeed succeeding in passing time. They passed time for about three hours before he gave her any actual suggestions of what she should do. By then, she was too tired to try any of them that day, so they passed some more time in bed until he went out on patrol.

At first, she took some of his suggestions and caught up on a world of popular culture she had completely missed growing up. Every day she watched a smattering of movies, read a plethora of books, and listened to a score of albums. First, raiding his DVD collection and TiVo, she became fairly well versed on the intricacies of CSI and the artistic methods of Seth Rogan and Will Farrel. Next she covered the classics, from Homer to Twain. Then she worked her way through history by way of Mozart, Ella Fitzgerald, The Beach Boys and Kurt Cobain. She paired this quest for knowledge with several hours of people watching each day. She realized that once you stopped to actually look at people, they were really quite interesting. She started bringing her sketch pad with her on these excursions, drawing the particularly interesting individuals she spotted. It wasn't always the person that made it interesting, though, usually it was what they were doing; the way that their bodies were contorted in joy and sadness, the way their hands moved as they went about some tactile task, the angle at which the light caught the contours of their clothes or shone in their hair.

He came upon her one day while she was sitting on her customary bench. She felt his presence instantly, not merely because of the gust of wind that lingered after his arrival but because of certain way her senses heightened when he was around. It tingled like static at the base of her spine when he was near. She didn't stop her sketching though, finishing the line of a child's arm as she reached up for ice-cream from a vendor. When she was done, she put her pencil down and faced him. He was in his normal clothes, something she (at the time) was still getting used to since, at that point, she normally saw him in his costume or out of it.

"Whatcha' drawing?" he asked. She smirked at him, pleased he had learned to ask to see her sketch pad rather than look whenever he decided. Rather than answering, she handed the pad over to him.

He looked at the finished picture, examining it silently for near to a minute. Jinx started getting anxious. He never took this long to look at something unless it was her. He must not like it, she thought as she started picking beneath her finger nail.

"This is what you should do!" he finally exclaimed.

"Huh?" was the only response she could manage to get out.