eleven / the illingworths

"Why? What's wrong with Lewis?" My eyes darted between the four boys, who all kept looking at each other in attempt to avoid catching my eye.

"Pete, you better take this one..." Patrick nodded and Pete sighed, standing up. He took hold of my hand and gently pulled me to my feet. I grabbed my bag and we walked up to my room.

"So...what is it?" I put my bag on the chair and emptied today's books. Pete sat on the bed fiddling with his fingers.

"Sit down," I looked at Pete who's head was bowed. Nevertheless, I sat down next to him.

"The Illingworths aren't good people, Ell, I don't want you getting hurt..."

"What? Are you sure you have the right people?"

Pete sighed again and rubbed his hands up and down his thighs. Something was bothering him about this and I didn't like where it was heading.

"Did Lewis ever talk about a brother?" Pete looked at me. His eyes were coated in tears.

"Yeah, he mentioned that he had a brother, Ash,"

Pete flinched when I said his name. He looked dead upset, but I didn't know how to comfort him. I wasn't good at this kind of thing, but I didn't like seeing anyone like this. I put a hand on his shoulder. He turned and looked at me, a few stray tears rolled down his cheeks.

"He did some bad things to my sister..."

"Pete I'm so sorry, he never-"

"No, it's fine." Pete took both of my hands in his, he squeezed them tight and I bit the inside of my lip. He was in a state and I didn't like it, "Just promise me that you'll never, ever, get involved with Lewis? I don't want the same thing to happen to you,".

I stared into Pete's big brown eyes. I could tell that I was best not asking what happened, he looked distraught though and clearly didn't want to talk about it. I quickly nodded my head.

"I- I promise,"

Pete flung his arms around me and I hugged back. I guess hugging was the only way that I could comfort people. Pete gave good hugs too.

"I love you," he mumbled into my hair. I was taken a back by this, but I guessed that we did have a best friend kind of love between us.

"I love you too,".

And I didn't want to break that.

A/n comment/vote