fifty-eight [new years eve]

Pete and I pulled up after a short twenty-minute drive to the store. It was New Years Eve and we were throwing a huge party for all our friends. Andy, Kayla, Brendon and Sarah were all at the house helping set up whilst Pete and myself offered to go on the food and drink run.

I slid the pound coin into the slot and the shopping cart releases from its chain. We set foot inside the store and started wandering over to the drinks. Pete immediately dropped in a fair few caskets of beer. I added some bottles of wine and then some non-alcoholic drinks too.

"Can we buy some salmon?" Pete asked, grabbing bags of snacks and nuts, throwing them into the cart as I pushed it along the aisles.

"What?" I chuckled, "Why?"

"Because we can roll them up and put them on little cocktail sticks and look fancy!"

I stared at Pete, shaking my head with a laugh. He frowned and threw in thinly sliced salmon and went wandering off for cocktail sticks. I went in the other direction in search for other party necessities.

Wandering aimlessly down aisle after aisle, my mind began wandering randomly about seeming less nothings. I almost jumped out of my skin when my cart smashed into another.

"Sorry, my fau- Liv?"

I grinned wide-eyed at my friend whom I hadn't seen in months, her smile had grown and so had her style. She was much more sophisticated and her hair was now a dirty blond colour with subtle brown highlights. She looked really happy which was something I hadn't seen her show in a while.

"Oh my God, when did you get back to the U.S.?" I asked, quickly hugging her. She hugged back with a bright smile.

"Not long ago, maybe a few weeks? I've been meaning to get in touch but things kept cropping up and ugh," she rolled her eyes and ran a hand through her straight hair.

"Don't worry about it, are you free tonight?" She nodded, "We're having a party, you should come along!"

She smirked and raised an eyebrow, "Whose 'we'?"

"Me and Pete,"

"Are you like a thing yet or what?" Her eyes lit up and I just laughed. It then occurred to me that I had never had the conversation with Pete about what he said to me when he fell asleep. It was always at the back of my mind but then again, that's only ever where it was.

"I um...no?" I chewed the inside of my lip.

"Oh come on, don't deny it! We all know you two like each other and it's just a matter of time until-"

"Until what? Hey Liv!" Pete grinned and hugged her when he realised who she was, "You coming to mine and Ell's party tonight?" Liv narrowed her eyes at me when he said my name. I just glared at her.

"Of course I am! Can't wait!"

"Great!"

"Well I better be off, need to get ready for the party now," She smirked and walked away, leaving me, Pete and some cocktail sticks.

•••••••

"Spencer! I've missed you so much!" I hugged him tightly as he walked through the front door.

The music was blasting loudly, courtesy of Pete and Brendon, and the lights were down with the fairy lights hung around the house. It looked pretty cool to say the least. Most people were already here. Liv was over with Ken, they were already drunk by the looks of things. Gabrielle and Lucy were talking like old friends and so were Patrick and Pete, which had made my night so far.

Spencer was dressed in black skinny jeans and a dark washed out denim button down. His smile was bright and just how I liked it, this was the Spencer I loved.

I grabbed us both a drink and we occupied the space in the corner where it was less loud and a little lighter since there was the moon light reflecting through the window. We spoke about life, problems and how we overcame them. It got quite personal and deep, making us both fairly emotional. It was nice to finally open up to someone too, other than Pete. We never really spoke about things in too much depth since he was always busy with work, but now it was fine.

I began to feel sleepy and Spencer and myself were both pretty drunk. As the clock neared midnight most people had taken up a resident seat next to someone of the opposite sex. A New Years kiss was never something I'd never experienced since I was in the kids home for most of my teenage years. I'd never been to a party on New Years either so this was all a new experience.

I woke myself up from my mindless wandering when my head slipped from Spencer's shoulder down to his chest. I jumped and he laughed, smiling at me.

"I've never had a New Years kiss before you know," I sighed. Spencer smiled at me and kissed my cheek. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"As much as an honour that would be, there's someone else you should have your first New Years kiss with,".

Spencer nodded behind him and I slowly turned around. Pete was stood shyly with his hands stuffed into his pockets. His hair was slicked back and his t-shirt clung tightly to his muscles. I was greatly attracted to him, and this has been a continuous thing for a while now.

Gently pushing me to my feet, Spencer winked at me as Pete took my hands in his own, leading me over to what was the dance floor. His eyes shine bright, reflecting off the tiny lights around the room. People began to count down from ten and I felt the heat of the moment over take me.

"3...2...1, happy new year!"

Pete crashed his lips down onto my own. His hands were tightly squeezing around my waist, slowly lifting my feet off the ground. I felt him smile into the kiss, sending shivers down my spine.

We pulled apart and he rested his forehead against my own. His smile was amazingly wide and it turned out to be infectious as I found my smile reaching my eyes.

"Listen, Ell. I know we've had our ups and downs and all, but, I can't hold it in anymore. There's something about you that makes me feel something amazing inside. It's something I've never felt before and I know it's you because...I-I'm in love with you,"

I smiled, then it turned into a giggle, then a laugh. Pete looked at me, smiling, but confused as ever.

"I know, idiot, you told me in your sleep. But surprise, loser, I just so happen to be in love with you too,".

-----------THE END-----------

A/N

HELLO THIS IS THE END WHAT????

It's so unexpected and I'm sorry but I needed to round off the story and this was how I'd planned it. I thought it was cute???

I will be editing this story massively pretty soon so yeah. There won't be a sequel I'm afraid since I don't have time to write a whole other book right now.

On a lighter note, I'd like to thank E V E R Y O N E who read, voted and commented on this story. Reading your comments makes my day and Im so glad you enjoy my work, which I never thought anyone would!

Once again, a massive thank you, please let me know what your final thoughts on this book are, thank you!!

-fxckflint