thirteen / unwanted

I had a short talk with Patrick whilst we waited for the boys to arrive. I felt so ashamed of myself, not to mention the guilt that was piled high on my shoulders. I felt so weighed down and I was dying every moment that led up to Pete arriving.

‘’Are you alright? What did he do? Did he hurt you?’’

Pete ran to me. He lifted up my arms, pulled up my hair, looked at my neck, hands, legs, ankles, everything. I felt so scared that I just burst into tears. He stopped and the other boys stood and watched as he pulled me into a long hug. Whatever it was that had happened to his sister, this was nothing compared.

‘’I’m sorry,’’ I mumbled,

‘’Don’t be,’’ He looked to the boys, ‘’Should I tell her?’’ They all nodded, leaving the room. Pete sat next to me, staring at the floor. I placed my hands in my lap and looked down at them. I felt so awkward, but I felt as though I needed to know to understand.

--

‘’And I just don’t want that to happen to you,’’ Pete grabbed my hand and held it to his chest. My eyes were stained with make-up that had run and I was choking on my own tears.

‘’I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have told him about you,’’ I shook my head and sniffed. Pete just squeezed my hand tighter.

‘’You did the right thing. Don’t worry about it, alright? You didn’t do anything wrong,’’ Pete hugged me. It wasn’t just like a half-hearted hug either, it was a full on meaningful hug that left me feeling empty when we separated. I realised that Pete and I needed to be there for each other right now and that we had to be honest about everything, or we weren’t going to get through this.

I still felt bad, even though for the rest of the night, Pete tried to convince me that I did the right thing. Of course, I wasn’t having any of it. I knew that I shouldn’t have grassed up Pete, but if I didn’t, God knows what Lewis would have done. And now, I’ve set myself and Pete up for whatever Lewis and his brother are concocting.

I felt kind of depressed after the other guys left. It was just me and Patrick and although I loved spending time with him, there was always one thing on my mind. Did he even want me here?

I know that it was stupid, him being the one to adopt me and all, but it still got to me. Maybe he got forced to by management, or to make himself look good in the media. It all got to me a couple of nights ago and I cried myself to sleep. I hadn’t done that in a long time but I needed to get it out. I’d been unwanted one too many times in my life and I hoped that it wasn’t happening again.

I watched Patrick from the corner of my eye. He was always on his phone, wherever we were. He told me it was because of his job, and that kind of made me feel ignored by him. He turned his phone off and directed his attention back to the TV. I sighed and he didn’t bat an eyelid. I wasn’t trying to cause a fuss, but I wanted to be noticed by him.

Maybe he chose me out of all the kids in the orphanage because I came across as having the least baggage. That’s why he picked me, because management told him to pick a simple kid, and I came up. That’s why nobody told me, because they didn’t want to hurt my feelings, even though they’re brutal in there.

Of course, I also knew that I was being stupid. Patrick did care about me or he wouldn’t have bothered to decorate my room, buy me nice clothes, nice shoes, send me to school, all that stuff. I knew he cared, but maybe that was force of habit. I wanted to know why I was here, and why Patrick Stump, out of all people in the entire world, would want to adopt me.

*a/n hiiiiiii! So I'm thinking about updating this story a lot more regularly. I really enjoy writing this and I was just wondering if maybe an update, or maybe two (sometimes) a day is too much? Would you guys like that? Please let me know! Thanks!

comment/vote*