fourteen / a breath of fresh air

‘’Patrick, can I ask you something?’’

I finally plucked up my inner courage to ask Patrick about this. His head turned to me, looking away from the TV and his phone for the first time in about an hour. He looked at me for a couple of seconds before answering.

‘’Sure, what is it?’’ He moved from his laid down position to an upright sitting one. I was internally thankful because I knew that when he did that, he was all ears for whoever it was that was speaking.

I felt nervous, scared and anxious all at once. Patrick was the best thing that ever happened to me and I didn’t want to put a foot wrong in our relationship. The last thing I wanted to happen was for him to hate me and send me back to the orphanage, but I needed to know, and there was only one way that I was going to find out.

‘’So, uh, I was just wondering…’’ He continued to look at me, fluffing his hair with his hand, ‘’Patrick why did you adopt me?’’

He sat looking bewildered for a couple of seconds. I wasn’t sure whether to say anything else, or to not say anything at all, or even to just apologise and walk away and go to bed without anything else to do with it. But then, just as I was about to put into action the last option, Patrick threw his head into his hands and drew in a long breath. He got up from his sofa and came over to the one I was sat on. He flung himself down next to me, turning himself so he was facing me.

‘’Don’t take this the wrong way, please, because I want you to know that I love you before I say anything,’’

I just nodded.

‘’Well, I was bored. In all honesty, I felt bored of myself and how I lived outside of the band. After my girlfriend left, I didn’t have anything else to care for and look after apart from my music. Of course, music is such a huge part of my life, but that didn’t fill the hole that was inside of me. I drove past your orphanage every day. I sometimes saw other kids beating each other up from inside the windows, it made me sad that I knew it was going on. I wanted to do something good, and I wanted to have a responsibility in life. I contacted your orphanage and they threw tons of names at me but yours just jumped out. It was in the middle of a list the lady was reeling off and I just cut her off right there. I got to know more stuff about you, and as soon as I heard you liked the band, I knew that I wanted you to come and live with me. I know that I sometimes can be a little away with the fairies and all, on my phone most of the time, and I’m sorry. Please don’t think that I don’t want you, because I’m so glad you’re here. You were like a breath of fresh air for me, and the guys, and I couldn’t thank you more for being just the way you are, Ell.’’

I had to blink a couple of times and secretly pinch the skin on my arm to make sure that this wasn’t a dream. It wasn’t. I took in every single word that Patrick had said and I didn’t know what to say next. Patrick had made me feel as happy as I’d ever felt before and surely I should be the one thanking him, but after hearing that, I felt as though I have helped him, in more ways than I thought.

‘’I, I…’’

I couldn’t manage to pull any words out of my mouth, so I just hugged him. I tried to hold in my tears, but it was too difficult so Patrick’s shoulder was soaked after a few minutes. He held me tight and I never wanted to let go. We watched the end of the movie without speaking another word to each other. The only thing that got us up in the morning was the sound of Joe shouting at us to get up through the mail box in the front door.

*a/n sorry if this chapter was a little dissapointing for you, I just wanted something in the story that showed the bond between Patrick and Ellianah. I hope you enjoyed this a little bit, if not a lot. I'll probably update again later tonight, or tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

comment/vote*